Question about bedding and veggie time

TheLittlePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok so I just got my little piggy girl a friend, miss fuzz. I had little pig by herself for a little while and she was fully potty trained, I had fleece cage liner and a litter pan and she used it religiously, now with fuzz here the litter pan is just in the way and little poops make it everywhere else, which is ok I spot clean daily, but I did go back to paper bedding for the time being until they are fully settled with each other and I will re introduce the litter pan, my question is, is it ok to still pile hay, veggies and pellets on the paper bedding? Right now I put their veggies on a plate but they much more enjoy digging thru everything but the paper bedding just gets stuck all over everything and I just don’t want it to hurt their bellies or if they choke, little fuzz has already choked like 3 times, not from the bedding but bc she must have never had veggies at the pet shop or something bc she was devouring it.

Pooping everywhere is normal. You were lucky if your other piggy was using a litter tray - it is through choice not through training though as piggies cannot be litter trained.

You may find it better to throw their veg and pellets into a big hay pile. It will encourage them to forage through the hay to find it and will encourage further hay intake also.
I have seen the picture you posted of your new addition. I would just comment that it would be a good idea to add considerably more hay. It may just be the picture but it doesn’t look like there was enough available.
Also, watch the amount of pellets you are feeding. Use a measure and ensure you are only giving one tablespoon per pig per day. A bowl full is never a good idea.

Be very careful with feeding veg to a piggy who hasn’t had it before. All veg and any new veg needs to be introduced very slowly with a small amount of one new veg being introduced every few days. Suddenly introducing new and lots of veg all in one go can lead to soft poops, digestive problems and potentially bloat so please be very careful.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I agree with everything that was written above. Piggies just pee and poop everywhere. ;)

Pease be very careful with feeding veggies to a piggy who hasn't been fed veggies before. This can cause major digestive problems!
If your piggy was fed pellets only before, you have to reduce the pellets slowly and slowly add small amounts of veggies. Feed lots of hay.

And if you notice a lot of choking, maybe also sneezing or a runny nose, please have your baby checked through by a vet. Choking can happen if they are eating to fast - my Odi is a master of this - but if it also happens while your piggy isn't eating or in combination with other symptoms it could also be a sign of sickness like an UTI.
I don't want to worry you, just monitor your piggies.

Pooping everywhere is normal. You were lucky if your other piggy was using a litter tray - it is through choice not through training though as piggies cannot be litter trained.

You may find it better to throw their veg and pellets into a big hay pile. It will encourage them to forage through the hay to find it and will encourage further hay intake also.
I have seen the picture you posted of your new addition. I would just comment that it would be a good idea to add considerably more hay. It may just be the picture but it doesn’t look like there was enough available.
Also, watch the amount of pellets you are feeding. Use a measure and ensure you are only giving one tablespoon per pig per day. A bowl full is never a good idea.

Be very careful with feeding veg to a piggy who hasn’t had it before. All veg and any new veg needs to be introduced very slowly with a small amount of one new veg being introduced every few days. Suddenly introducing new and lots of veg all in one go can lead to soft poops, digestive problems and potentially bloat so please be very careful.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Yes I have a few areas of hay that log is just a foraging toy I stuff a bit of hay in but there are two hay racks that weren’t shown in the picture, from what the pet shop lady told me they were fed romaine lettuce I am currently introducing red pepper to her, yeah when it was just miss pig she strictly used the litter box which was a pleasant surprise but either way I love them dearly so picking up poops and spot cleaning just gives me an excuse to interact with them more, luckily the choking hasn’t happened since that time so hopefully it was excitement maybe

I agree with everything that was written above. Piggies just pee and poop everywhere. ;)

Pease be very careful with feeding veggies to a piggy who hasn't been fed veggies before. This can cause major digestive problems!
If your piggy was fed pellets only before, you have to reduce the pellets slowly and slowly add small amounts of veggies. Feed lots of hay.

And if you notice a lot of choking, maybe also sneezing or a runny nose, please have your baby checked through by a vet. Choking can happen if they are eating to fast - my Odi is a master of this - but if it also happens while your piggy isn't eating or in combination with other symptoms it could also be a sign of sickness like an UTI.
I don't want to worry you, just monitor your piggies.
I actually contacted the pet shop and they fed them romaine and pellets and hay, so I just introduced red pepper yesterday evening and so far so good, the choking has so far not happened since so fingers crossed it was just excitement or like you said eating too fast, I haven’t noticed any runny nose or sneezing or coughing. I enjoy the extra spot cleaning, I like to sing them a song and they sing back and love chasing my hand and my miss piggy loves grooming my hand so it gives me more time to interact

Back