Q: my male and female Guinea Pigs are mating... but she is not getting pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotrod

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

New Member here.

Was looking around on this forum..., but could not really find an answer to my question, so here it comes:

Q: my male (about 8 months old) and female (about 10 months old) Guinea Pigs are mating (and have been for some time)... but she is not getting pregnant.

Personally I am not looking into breeding them per se, but I understand that when a male and female Guinea Pig are living together, they will eventually "do it", and - under normal circumstances - I would think that the female Guinea Pig would get pregnant, but not here... and I wonder why that is. (And yes, they are a boy and a girl, lol).

Was the male, for some unknown to me reason, maybe born infertile / sterile... ? (Sorry, English is not my first language).

Maybe some of you might have an (other?) explanation... ?

Looking forward to get some feedback here. Thank you - and you all have a nice Sunday / week...

It doesn’t really matter the reason but it will happen at some point if they are both intact - please separate them immediately. You don’t want to run the risk of pregnancy occurring at all. You will need to put your sow on 10 weeks pregnancy watch from the day you separate them.

Knowingly keeping opposite sex piggies together is intentional breeding - we don’t support it and do not allow discussion of it

Hello and welcome to the forum. We are a non breeding forum. Please separate your piggies. You’ve been lucky so far not to have had a pregnancy.

I don’t understand why you would keep them together when you say you don’t want a pregnancy.

You have a nice day too.

Diet might play a role seeing where you are. Hay makes up about 80% of their diet.

Please remove the male from the female and put the female on pregnancy watch.

Keeping an intact male with an intact female is considered to be intentional breeding (irrespective of whether you get offspring) and is a prohibited topic on this forum. Please take this as a warning. Any further references to keeping them together and allowing them to mate will result in you being banned without any further warning.

Ok, thank you. Sorry. I was not aware. - I will check the above link now. Peace & out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back