Q About Hay Allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.

honey_badger

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm wanting to get a pair of guinea pigs, so I went to a guinea pig adoption place today and spent some time with the piggies and rubbed my face on them and everything with no allergy symptoms. Yay! And then the woman who runs the place gave me a little baggie of hay to expose myself to. I rubbed it on the inside of my arm and I think I had a pretty strong reaction to it. Very red and itchy, uncomfortable. Now it's still a little red hours later, but not itching anymore. But I've also been sticking my face in the bag and taking big breaths of it with no issue at all.

So I'm wondering is this a problem? I was really worried about having itchy watery eyes and sneezing and that sort of thing. But that seems like it's not an issue. I don't plan on rubbing myself with the hay and I'd imagine other than when I'm actually refilling the hay or cleaning the cage I won't be touching it.

What do you guys think?

I am quite allergic to hay. I wear a mask and gloves when dealing with it a lot (mostly when giving them a totally fresh hay bed) or doing a big clean out. I take anti histamines if I feel the slightest tickle coming on!

And do you still feel like it was a good thing that you got your piggies? I feel like This reaction that I'm having is totally livable. I don't think it'll stop me.

I am :) it might be different if i was allergic to them not the hay but I can still have lots of cuddles! It does also help that they are not in the house but in the garage

I also have an itchy reaction to hay, but I find that it doesn't bother me that much when I'm handling it :3 Besides, pigs are totally worth it XD

Thanks you guys! I'm gonna just refrain from scratching myself up w the hay. I don't think it'll be too hard.

These piggies are totally supposed to be a gift for my children but I'm beside myself with excitement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back