Putting piggies outside question

Bettytipps46

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, we are getting our first piggies in the next couple of weeks and currently just getting set up.
Our piggies will live indoors in a 6x2 c&c.

Only thing I’m worried about is that in our garden we only have a small patch of artificial grass and a patio.

On a nice day I’d like to put the outside for a change for them.
Is it best to put the run on the artificial grass or the patio?

Hello 🤗
How very exciting for you. So glad to hear you're keeping them indoors, they really feel like part of the family then and you get to enjoy all their mischief and silliness.
A 6x2 c&c is a great size 👍
As Piggies&buns said, putting fleece down would be best. You don't want the piggies trying to eat the artificial grass and while walking on patio might be good for wearing their nails, patio slabs can get very hot in warm weather so could hurt tiny piggy feet.
Enjoy your new fur-babies x

Hello, we are getting our first piggies in the next couple of weeks and currently just getting set up.
Our piggies will live indoors in a 6x2 c&c.

Only thing I’m worried about is that in our garden we only have a small patch of artificial grass and a patio.

On a nice day I’d like to put the outside for a change for them.
Is it best to put the run on the artificial grass or the patio?

Hi

You need to put some towel or fleece blanket down onto the ground; especially the patio area. Also make sure that the top is cat and fox safe and peg a towel or sheet over half of the run top to provide a shady area (keep in mind that the sun is moving).

Please make sure that you are around to keep an eye out. There has just been a sharp rise of guinea pig and rabbit theft from hutches and sheds at the start of the summer holiday (presumably for dog baiting). :(

Try the ground with your bare feet first for 5 minutes. If it is too cold or too hot for them, it is going to be the same for your piggies, who are lower to the ground. This will help you to decide where better to put the run and whether the ground is still too cold, too damp or already too warm - and it will help to avoid a vet trip for urinary trct infection or heat exhaustion/stroke. ;)

Just some nice sun-warmed air can be very deceptive, so can double shade in hot weather with a sun-heated breeze of over 50 C blowing right onto the cage. Your bare feet will give you the best feedback.

These inside air and ground temperatures here have been taken on a nicely warm 25 C on a sunny lawn with no extra protection. (Shared with permission of East Anglian Guinea Pig Rescue)

1723708858262.webp

The first and fourth chapter in our hot weather guide should be a bit of an eye opener as to how surface temperatures on the ground and temperatures inside a hidey in the sun can differ from the air temperature: Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Please also brace yourself for the fact that you will have to spend your first summer accustoming your piggies to the outdoors. It is usually rather overwhelming and scary for them at first. Treat them like you would tender plants in spring.

Please give your piggies time to settle into their new home first.

Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners (for bookmarking, browsing, reading and re-reading at need)

Hello and welcome to the forum @Bettytipps46 .
Exciting times for you getting your piggies. I don't know which area of Bristol you are in but there have been a spate of piggie and rabbit thefts from gardens in South Bristol (Knowle/Knowle West). The other thing you need to look out for is Foxes, there seem to be a lot more in and around the City now. I think they are being driven in from the green areas by house building. My piggies love going outside but are only out there when one of us can be with them. I hope you really enjoy being a piggie parent, they are such fascinating little creatures.

Back