Purring (?) when being pet

jowee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted some insight into my guinea pig's behaviour - while petting her she on occasion purrs (as shown here) and her body language looks relaxed to me? But unsure about whether the purring is a good or bad sign as apparently it can also indicate negative feelings?

Shortly before this video, she also ended up turning her butt towards me while I pet her and she continued to purr, then shortly after she turned fully onto her sides with her legs stretched out. Is it a good or bad sign that she turned her butt towards me while petting?

Thank you in advance for any input!

Looks and sounds like she’s enjoying the scratch and just chatting to you. My girl used to stretch out when I’d stroke her. And one of my boars stretches out a little and purrs when I get towards his lower back.

Usually when they don’t like it, they may try kicking you off or lunging or turning away quickly.

My boars do this too. It just means he/she likes being stroked :)

Hi all,

Just wanted some insight into my guinea pig's behaviour - while petting her she on occasion purrs (as shown here) and her body language looks relaxed to me? But unsure about whether the purring is a good or bad sign as apparently it can also indicate negative feelings?

Shortly before this video, she also ended up turning her butt towards me while I pet her and she continued to purr, then shortly after she turned fully onto her sides with her legs stretched out. Is it a good or bad sign that she turned her butt towards me while petting?

Thank you in advance for any input!

Hi

Please look up the entry under purring in our very helpful Behaviours A-Z guide; it always depends on the body language and situational context. In your case, the body language is very relaxed.

A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Back