Purring... Good Or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ati Ebrahimi

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got different opinions about purring, some say it's a sound of pleasure some say it's annoyance!
What is your opinion?
my baby purred this morning when I touched his lower back, I don't know whether that means do it more often or don't do it at all?! he only did it 3 times & then he kept making this sound a little faster than the sound he makes while exploring, which also am not sure about being good or bad!?

My current pigs don't purr - they are young boar pairs and all resolving dominance issues BUT when I had groups of a neutered boar living with sows - all my pigs seemed very relaxed and happy when purring. I have read that it means they don't like what you are doing but mine were definitely chilled and content. Yep it is confusing!

My current pigs don't purr - they are young boar pairs and all resolving dominance issues BUT when I had groups of a neutered boar living with sows - all my pigs seemed very relaxed and happy when purring. I have read that it means they don't like what you are doing but mine were definitely chilled and content. Yep it is confusing!

Very much so! I guess I have to rely on my instinct & his expressions!

Very much so! I guess I have to rely on my instinct & his expressions!

:agr:

I have had situations when mine vibrate and they're definitely telling me that something is happening that they don't like.

I have seen you tube clips of guinea pigs purring and it is clear they are happy .

Generally, Guinea pigs don't like their lower back being touched so, I think your Guinea pigs was telling you he wasn't happy.

It really depends on the kind of purr, so the best thing is to observe the body language.
But from my experience if the purrs are short and quick, then they're showing some kind of annoyance. The good purrs are usually longer (Teddy looked like an engine lol) and usually you can clearly see that they're enjoying it, maybe because they stretch, or they lay down or something like that.

:agr:

I have had situations when mine vibrate and they're definitely telling me that something is happening that they don't like.

I have seen you tube clips of guinea pigs purring and it is clear they are happy .

Generally, Guinea pigs don't like their lower back being touched so, I think your Guinea pigs was telling you he wasn't happy.

Yeah I thought the same thing. I guess he didn't like me touching his butt! :))

It really depends on the kind of purr, so the best thing is to observe the body language.
But from my experience if the purrs are short and quick, then they're showing some kind of annoyance. The good purrs are usually longer (Teddy looked like an engine lol) and usually you can clearly see that they're enjoying it, maybe because they stretch, or they lay down or something like that.

Thanks, yup these were short & quick. I keep an eye out for the good ones.

I got different opinions about purring, some say it's a sound of pleasure some say it's annoyance!
What is your opinion?
my baby purred this morning when I touched his lower back, I don't know whether that means do it more often or don't do it at all?! he only did it 3 times & then he kept making this sound a little faster than the sound he makes while exploring, which also am not sure about being good or bad!?

There are three different kinds with very different meanings, which is why it is so confusing. Generally, you have to take the body language and situational context into consideration, so there is no straight forward guide.
This one is one of the better audio guides which has got the interpretation pretty right - there are plenty that haven't! Guinea Pig Sounds

A short, sharp grrr rumble means displeasure; you hear it most often after a sharp noise like when a door bangs or you drop something unexpectedly in the piggy room, but they can also make that sound if they are not happy with you touching them somewhere.

A lighter, constant rumbling that is usually connected with a stiff walk characterised by shifting the weight from one back foot to the other (gives the impression of bum wiggling) is a mild expression of dominance. Some boars do it daily while sows mostly rumblestrut just in the wake of an introduction or if they have a strong season.

A softer, intermittent rumble when being petted has in essence a similar meaning to the cat purr. It is an expression of pleasure and is usually accompanied by a relaxed, flattened body.

I hope that that helps you. You will learn soon enough - guinea pigs are very good communicators!

Thanks for adding your country.

It really depends. My guinea pigs are more apt to chirp/chortle/mutter to themselves when they are happy. A 'brrr' noise is generally displeasure, and being touched on their lower back usually does not make them happy! LOL!

]
There are three different kinds with very different meanings, which is why it is so confusing. Generally, you have to take the body language and situational context into consideration, so there is no straight forward guide.
This one is one of the better audio guides which has got the interpretation pretty right - there are plenty that haven't! Guinea Pig Sounds

A short, sharp grrr rumble means displeasure; you hear it most often after a sharp noise like when a door bangs or you drop something unexpectedly in the piggy room, but they can also make that sound if they are not happy with you touching them somewhere.

A lighter, constant rumbling that is usually connected with a stiff walk characterised by shifting the weight from one back foot to the other (gives the impression of bum wiggling) is a mild expression of dominance. Some boars do it daily while sows mostly rumblestrut just in the wake of an introduction or if they have a strong season.

A softer, intermittent rumble when being petted has in essence a similar meaning to the cat purr. It is an expression of pleasure and is usually accompanied by a relaxed, flattened body.

I hope that that helps you. You will learn soon enough - guinea pigs are very good communicators!

Thanks, yes it is very helpful, I guess with time I'll get to know him & his sounds better.

I think this morning I got one of the good ones, he was lying down & looked relaxed & purred for like 10-15 seconds so I guess he liked the way I was petting him.

is eating while being petted a good sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back