Purple beans

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Every year I grow French beans. purple and green but most of the green ones I grow for my piggies. This year disaster has struck and there are very few green ones but the purple ones are ok. My question is. is it ok for piggies to eat the purple ones? Strangely the purple ones turn to green when being cooked (so I don't know why they grow purple but I'm sure someone will). Its the 'purple' that worries me in case they contain some enzyme that piggies cannot tolerate.
Can anyone on here help me with this one?

Thanks Bill&Ted they will have one each this evening.
As piggieminder said, I was disappointed when the beans turned green so I steamed some in case it was boiling them that was the problem but the same happened ☹️

Purple beans are made purple by anthocyanins. They create blues, purples, and some reds in many different flowers, fruits, and vegetables. However, they are pH sensitive, where in higher pHs they lose their color completely. Purple beans turn green because in the heat of cooking the anthocyanins are broken down, reducing the amount of purple production and also decreasing the acidity changing the purple to clear, which leaves the green visible. You may be able to counteract some of this cooking less (to reduce anthocyanin breakdown) and soaking lemon juice or vinegar before cooking (to increase acidity) ... or just eating them raw would certainly solve the issue.

Anthocyanins are harmless and flavorless, so they are perfectly fine for piggies.

Other examples of anthocyanins at work:
Hydrangea macrophylla can have red, pink, purple or blue flowers depending on the soil they're grown in. (Actually metalloanthocyanins, which involve metal ions in addition to the anthocyanins ... I think it's usually aluminum ions in hydrangeas.)
Purple cabbage will become colorless when cooked. So too can purple peppers and grapes lose their color. (Red peppers keep their color because the red in peppers is created by a different compound.)

Wow! thanks for the info Princess Dustmop it amazing just how little we know about what we eat. I've 2 bonded pairs of piggies and gave them a piece each - 1 pair loved them but the other pair wouldn't go anywhere near them lol

Thanks Bill&Ted they will have one each this evening.
As piggieminder said, I was disappointed when the beans turned green so I steamed some in case it was boiling them that was the problem but the same happened ☹️
Yes they always look so nice and then turn green. Purple beans are so much easier to pick through 😃

Wow! thanks for the info Princess Dustmop it amazing just how little we know about what we eat. I've 2 bonded pairs of piggies and gave them a piece each - 1 pair loved them but the other pair wouldn't go anywhere near them lol
I think some piggies are a little suspicious of the colour until they see another pig eating them 😆

Back