Puppy pads under fleece.

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I’ve just recently started using puppy pads again after a couple years as I found newspaper worked better under the wood shavings my boys were originally on.

I had been using newspapers and towels under the bath mats when I switched them a couple months ago, as I thought it was the cheaper option but it’s just a bit stinky and as it’s coming to winter I want the chance of dampness to be minimal.

Should it go newspaper under puppy pads or newspaper ontop. I’ve read that newspaper isn’t the best at wicking on its own but also putting it under the puppy pad seems unconventional considering the plastic layer underneath the pad, assuming it’s made to not let any “puppy” pee go onto your floor.

You don’t need both puppy pads and newspaper.
The puppy pads do the job on their own.
It would be pointless putting newspaper and then puppy pads as nothing should go through the puppy pads anyway

I use washable pee pads under the fleece and it works well. I have cut them to fit my hutch with no loss in performance. I do have disposable ones for my temporary run when I need it. I prefer the washable ones as less goes to landfill and I just wash them when I wash the fleeces. These are the ones I have. They are quite pricey to begin with but I've had mine for 3 years now and they are as good if not better than when first bought them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vetfleece-...contipet+120+x+90&qid=1693822444&rdc=1&sr=8-9

You don’t need both puppy pads and newspaper.
The puppy pads do the job on their own.
It would be pointless putting newspaper and then puppy pads as nothing should go through the puppy pads anyway
That’s good, I wasn’t sure if one pad on its own would be enough to hold a weeks worth of pees.

I was thinking as the “bed” area in my hutch is the most wet area, perhaps I should change the pad in there once every couple of days. So perhaps instead of just changing it at the big change I could change it mid-week aswell.

That’s good, I wasn’t sure if one pad on its own would be enough to hold a weeks worth of pees.

I was thinking as the “bed” area in my hutch is the most wet area, perhaps I should change the pad in there once every couple of days. So perhaps instead of just changing it at the big change I could change it mid-week aswell.

Yes - You wouldn’t want to leave it a week without changing them not in winter and of your garage is already cold

Yes - You wouldn’t want to leave it a week without changing them not in winter and of your garage is already cold
I’ve checked the temperatures from last year and what I said was lower than what it was.

The garage gets to 5-10 degrees, only lower when it’s minus (which it hardly is) which is still really quite cold so the pigs have heat pads, tons of hay, insulation all around the sides and a large expensive wool sleeping bag from my grandmother to go on the front on the coldest days/overnight.
The fleece also gets changed twice a week in winter!

Thanks for the advice! 😄

I was thinking as the “bed” area in my hutch is the most wet area, perhaps I should change the pad in there once every couple of days. So perhaps instead of just changing it at the big change I could change it mid-week aswell. basketball stars
Indeed, you definitely don't want to go more than a week without replacing them, especially in the winter when your garage is already chilly.

I use newspaper under bath mats in the hay areas, the paper needs changing every other day except for one of my boys who wees only in the hay his mat and newspaper needs changing every day. I think it depends on the situation and the guinea pigs how often it needs changing. A case of trial and error. I have fleece cage liners in the rest of the cage with nothing underneath the padded liners are enough. The fleece liners get changed every 4 or 5 days.

Back