Proud Piggie Mum

Choccawocca

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my new boys are really coming out of themselves. They were very flighty but now they like to come and help when I'm cleaning the pen. I say help but it involves squeaking and sniffing my feet and bum! A few weeks ago they would have run and hid.
They know the sound of the hay and food bags and respond to 'would you like some carrot'! Carrot is reserved for hand feeding as this is their most favourite. They come and get the carrot and will now eat it near me.
We haven't reached the picking up stage and there's no rush. I'm just so happy we've reached this point as they were afraid of everything.

So my new boys are really coming out of themselves. They were very flighty but now they like to come and help when I'm cleaning the pen. I say help but it involves squeaking and sniffing my feet and bum! A few weeks ago they would have run and hid.
They know the sound of the hay and food bags and respond to 'would you like some carrot'! Carrot is reserved for hand feeding as this is their most favourite. They come and get the carrot and will now eat it near me.
We haven't reached the picking up stage and there's no rush. I'm just so happy we've reached this point as they were afraid of everything.

Well done! Patience and persistence pays off!

Here are tips for how to best pick up guinea pigs and avoid accidents - it doesn't involve handling, so you can neatly avoid triggering their prey animal instincts.
You may want to start checking their bum bits and bodies and weighing them once weekly. Invent a routine for it and end up with a special treat! ;)
For lap time and the weekly weigh-in: How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig
Caring for boars: Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths
Learning what is normal and what not: Guinea pig body quirks

Back