Pros and cons of pups vs. rehoming

stickytoffee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm a newbie and still looking to get our piggies. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of getting a pups vs. rehoming adults pigs please? Specifically, two 18 month old sows that have recently both had litters. Thanks.

We are a rescue friendly forum so we will always advise you to go to a rescue centre and adopt.
There are many pigs in rescue who need good homes.

If you adopt from a rescue you can be sure of a good compatible bond and piggies who actually like each other and want to be together, that they are are properly vet checked and confirmed healthy and that they are properly sexed. Plus long term support from the rescue centre.

If you buy piggies either from a breeder, privately or from a shop there are several issues you may face.

As babies the piggies will get on but you won’t know if they are actually compatible until they get to their teens. Sadly sometimes a bond breaks when the hormones kick in and the piggies get their own ideas and decide they just don’t like each other. In that case they would need to be separated and live side by side. That isn’t always an issue but if space is a worry and you can’t provide two cages then risking a fall out is not something you want to do!
In the case of baby sows, if there were any boars in the litter it they were not separated properly at the right time then you risk finding your sows are actually pregnant a few weeks after you bring them home, and then dealing with the issues that brings.
They can bring in illnesses that you won’t have any way of recompense for particularly if you get from a private home.
They may be incorrectly sexed. You would have to check for yourself

If you are prepared for the risks then where you get them is up to you, but we would always encourage you to go to a rescue centre

I agree with @Piggies&buns, always go to a rescue when you can! Pigs will be bonded, health checked and have rescue back up should you no longer be able to keep them. Rescues will also be able to tell you all about the piggies' likes, dislikes and personalities.
They will also be able to give you the correct advice on care, housing etc.

Thank you, I will check out this route.

It’s the safer route as a new owner.

What I would do though is get in contact with some rescues prior to sorting your shed - this is for several reasons:

Some will flat out refuse to rehome to outdoor homes at all; (of course you would then need to go elsewhere to get your piggies and while there are risks, we can certainly guide you on how to go about mitigating)
Some will refuse to rehome to outdoor at this time of year (although if you can heat and keep it at a constant 18-22 degrees throughout all winter then that may mitigate), and only to outdoors from spring time.

Their sizing requirements are quite strict and you don’t want to go to the trouble of doing your shed, finding piggies at a rescue and then applying for them to then find they don’t approve of your cage sizing or set up

Back