Problems With Male Piggy and Human Bond

D

Deleted member 151135

HAY There! I just joined this forum so I hope I’m doing this correctly. I have a question. I have an about 8 month old Male Guinea Pig, Furrn. He’s my buddy, very affectionate, loving, snuggly, cuddly. We’ve been buddies since the day I met him and brought him home. Recently, he’s had a lot more energy, attitude, been very sassy, and not cuddly/snuggly. Just not his usual self. But, he seems healthy. I believe he’s what is known as “the teen time” of Guinea Pigs. I’ve been a Guinea Pig Mom since 2017, and Furrn is my first boar. My Girls never went through it too, but not as noticeably as Furrn. Will he be back to his normal self? If so, When? I want my buddy back. Thank You in advance. Much Love to you fellow piggy lovers.

P.S. I Have a Youtube Channel with the piggies, if anyone would like to check it out or give more advice. It’s called WhileMyGuineaPigGentlyWheeks. Hope that is ok to share!

Adding to this: it’s like he’s a completely different Guinea Pig. I miss the Furrn I know. Has he changed forever?

He is a teenager and he is now hormonal. Sows go through it too but it isn’t always quite as noticeable as it is in boars.
Whether he will go back to how he was is not possible to know. Boars do tend to become more affectionate as they get older but whether they always enjoy a cuddle is an individual thing.

Does he live with another piggy?
How long have you had him?

thank you for your reply. I’ve had him for four months today actually. He was four month olds when I got him on June 29th, 2022. He does not Live with another piggy at the moment, but I am looking into getting him Neutered in hopes that he can live with My Other Piggy, Daisy, who usually lives next to him. (I have him in my room by himself for the moment) and have him out pretty much every single minute of the day, because I do online school. But, if the thing with Daisy fails, I will get him a friend because I know how crucial that is for them. I love my Guinea pigs, and being a piggy parent is an honor I take seriously. Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it very much.

Their teens start at 4 months of age so he has actually been a teenager for the whole time you have had him. He may just be settled in enough and feeling more confident and not wanting to have cuddles.
Why did you move him away from living beside Daisy? He really needs to have side by side interaction with another piggy at all times, so it would be best if he could be living back beside her. Daisy also needs him beside her if she is also a single piggy. Human interaction is unfortunately never enough. You would need to ensure his cage is very secure and lidded so he cannot escape to get into the cage with her.
Its good you are going to get him neutered. Make sure he is six weeks post neuter before you carry out the neutral territory bonding.

Back