• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Problems with a baby boy, Abnormallity with birth?

• Thread starter Thread starter carrie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carrie

Hi there

Just wondered if anyone can please let me know what they think might be the problem with Robin, one of my babies, he is about 12 weeks old.

Basically he is the runt (a beautiful one at that!) of 3 babies, and he was the last one to be born and it took mum some time to push him out (in case this makes any difference?) he is completely different to his brother and sister, as from somewhere he has gained long hair, we have said he must be a throw back from along the line, he is also very placid compared to what the other babies have been, as he is one of the baby cuys, the bigger type of piggy. He has always not been afraid to Eek up! for his food and gets it down his neck, but he has not gained that much weight and when you feel around his backside his bones are still protruding and his bodily shape has never got rounded like his family, also whats been a concern is that hes been squeaking when going to the toilet yet his poos and wee have seemed fine.
The weight gain and the sqeaking is concerning and he has been treated for bloat as last week his belly was very bloated, so he's been having baytril (in case of infection, as i think his pee has smellt a bit funny) and he's had liquid parafin and the vet suggested some pineapple juice as its good for breaking up any hard blockage. He's also had 2 doses of 0.05 of Metoclopramide (one last week and last night) last week we saw him improve until over the last couple of days he has gone off his food and gone quiet and has only a little bit of interest in some of his favorite veggies, i am trying to get the recovery and fluids in him, and the vet gave him some fuilds by injection last night, but he has gone flat, but when i pick him up he does respond, just he looks weak now :'(

We are trying our best but know that it's not looking too good for him, i've had piggys for years and have the other 32 boys and girls so i know the signs! but what i really need to know is that, has he been born like this and can't develop properly, because it seems to be this way or can anyone else tell me why this has happened?

Many Thanks

Carrie

Aw I'm really sorry, i cant help at all but i really hope he pulls through he sounds lovely :smitten:

wish I could help :'( fingers and paws crossed for your little man :smitten:

Yes I think there is a good chance that the poor little chap was born with some kind of digestive problem.

All you can do,is to go on loving him and nursing him along.

Paws crossed for him

Oh no, thats soo sad :-\ Hope he gets well asap :-* Maybe ring the vets and ask for more advice on what it could be or anything :-\ one of my lil sows is very small too and hasnt grown much compared to her sister i kept but maybe its because i kept the biggest of the litter of the 6 and the 2nd smallest maybe as the runt died :'( but i hope all the best for lil one 0:)

time will tell :) You can only do your best :)

Were the parents both Cuys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back