Problem with the ramp (again)!

RosieLily

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Hello everybody, hope you’re all good.

So the queens own a cage with a ramp. I’ve had problems with it before, Lily charges that thing with such force and flies up and down that thing like a bullet, twice she’s ended up with a minor limp. Luckily the last incident was ages ago.

Now it’s Rosie’s turn. She has started to jump down from the second floor. For a while she was simply leaning over the edge, looking down and considering but I kept telling her “no”. But I guess that just made it so much more interesting to her. She’s done it quite a few times now. She seems to like it, sometimes she runs up there just to jump down again. I try to stop her whenever I can but I’m not always there. I’m worried her legs might somehow get stuck on the cardboard border or that she might land badly. Should I try block it off somehow or trust that she knows what she’s doing, considering that she seems to like it? Or is that irresponsible?

I’ve attached a picture of the piggy mansion.

Attachments

• 6BCB55F4-4B5F-4A4D-BE14-1BA8BD5BE8B4.webp
    6BCB55F4-4B5F-4A4D-BE14-1BA8BD5BE8B4.webp
    81.5 KB · Views: 23
I would put a couple of grids across the front of the correx so she cannot jump off. it looks like your design floor is half height so to put grids on you will need to bend and overlap them, leaving the ramp as the only open part

I think one possible solution might be a cheap cushion - see my little blue one here with the car? It's about 8 years old now and can go through the washing machine. You could try putting it under the shelf where your piggy is jumping down so it's not as far. I have these plastic tray cages... each of my cages has a front and side door hole cut in but some of the piggies enjoy leaping onto the shelves (George is too fat) and this cushion means it's easier up and down (and also popular to lie on generally!) but be careful not to put it next to the side of your grids in case they try and escape over the top! My girl pigs hop on and off the shelves within the cage but only Flora (black and white) leaps nimbly in and out without use of the cushion. She is a ninja-pig though... I have seen her staring for a long time at the top of a C&C fence - looking, thinking, working it out, and suddenly - leaped and perched like a bird balancing on the top with her 4 feet and gazing into the run next door. So lucky it was ground level! They are all so different - I've only ever seen old George on the cushion once and it took him all his time to heave his big behind on there... he was so proud of himself 😂

GeorgeFloraLouise.webp Queen of the cushion.webp

I’d also put grids up to close off the balcony part on the upper floor. My top boy used to jump off the ramp about half way down 🙄

Back