• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Problem with teeth

Guineapighelp-

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I was at the vets with my guinea pig before Christmas with dental problem and he said the piggy had tooth abscess and gave him antibiotics for 2 weeks. Now after them he started chewing on one side and barely eats any veggies I syringe feed him every day. It is not about lack of want to eat she just cant properly chew up since she puts her teeth on a side. I am attaching a picture. Her teeth are a little uneven because she couldnt eat on one side As well. I am going to the vets this week but I think they will have to do an xray which will mean they have to put him under anesthesia. Do you think there are any other options than that IMG_3435.webpbecause I am frankly scared about such huge procedure ?

The vet needs to find out exactly what is going on and deal with it appropriately.

What antibiotics were you given? Something like baytril may not be strong enough to deal with an abscess. Zithromax (azithromycin) is good for abscesses.

Is your piggy on any painkillers?
Are you weighing him/her every day to ensure you are getting enough syringe feed in?

Hello. I have had a piggy with a tooth root abscess.

Here is his thread if you’d like to read it. There’s lots of advice from everyone on the forum that really helped me. Good luck I hope your piggy is soon on the mend.

Dental? Pepper is off to the vets tomorrow

Back