Probiotics Every Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco&Luna

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can I put probiotics into my guinea pigs water bottles every day like....forever?
Is this unhealthy or will it keep them healthy?

The reason I ask is because when I use the probiotics in the water they drink the whole bottle within 12 hours, which I love because Stanley has IC and powdery deposits and it encourages him to drink a lot because he and Luna love it.

You can, but personaly l wouldent, l beleve a kind of fermantation take place
If you smell the inside of the bottle after 24 hours with adertives in, it smells like a bruary.:eek:

i assume you can. on the avipro plus tub it says one scoop per 200ml water for general use.

when mollie had it in her water for a little while i was advised to change it at least twice a day :)

Seems like we've got two questions here:

1. Is there any harm in putting probiotics in the water every day for a long time?

2. How often should I change the water/clean the bottle daily?

I'm sorry I've no experience with probiotics so can't offer any suggestions.

If theres nowt wrong with the pigs digestion , l wouldent bother

If you want him to get more fluids, you could give him a bit extra cucumber :tu:

I syringe my Wilma additional fluids everyday, the vet is also aware of this. I also put Avri-pro in it as she seems to think it makes her water more palatable.

Wilma has bladder problems and he checked the ingredients to ensure there wasn't a huge amount of calcium. I can't help in relation to if or not it's advised to put it in a water bottle but I do give it daily and have discussed it with my vet.

Thanks guys. It's the pets at home probiotic I'm using. I can't read the label just now, I've not used it for days, I've been sleeping on a camping bed in my grans living room to look after my granda and sister since my gran was taken into hospital on Sunday morning. I have the pigs in a shop bought cage beside me, they're getting mega cage rage. Poor souls. Stanley's due at the vets like yesterday and I can't get a bloody minute to sort it. :hb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back