Pro Biotic and Critical Care Supplements for First Aid Kit....

Storm1974

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just in case one of our piggies gets ill (Praying they don't!🙏🙏), think it's a good idea to have these in, rather than having to panic, if and when we need it!

Does anybody have any recommendations as to which ones are good (And not TOO expensive), please?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

They have use by dates on them so I don’t tend to keep probiotics or critical care in stock. No point in keeping something in stock which is out of date when you do then need it.

In an emergency I use mushed pellets and poop soup (although I’d still use poop soup even if I did have a commercial probiotic). Pellets are always on hand and poop soup is free!
I can then order probiotic and critical care if and when needed.
I just keep the 1ml syringes in stock

The commercial probiotic I use is Fibreplex

Probiotics Live Gut Microbiome Transfer ('Poo Soup'); Recovery Formula Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links and Transfer Recipe

I know they're not the best company, but Amazon are great when you need piggy supplies quickly. There's usually a few kinds of critical care available next day as well as Fibreplex 👍

I don't tend to keep either in stock as they're perishable but I have them bookmarked and ready to order in a pinch!

I know they're not the best company, but Amazon are great when you need piggy supplies quickly. There's usually a few kinds of critical care available next day as well as Fibreplex 👍

I don't tend to keep either in stock as they're perishable but I have them bookmarked and ready to order in a pinch!
I don't like or use Amazon unfortunately, though I know you can get stuff quicker from there if you're a member of Prime, so may have to join. 😕

They have use by dates on them so I don’t tend to keep probiotics or critical care in stock. No point in keeping something in stock which is out of date when you do then need it.

In an emergency I use mushed pellets and poop soup (although I’d still use poop soup even if I did have a commercial probiotic). Pellets are always on hand and poop soup is free!
I can then order probiotic and critical care if and when needed.
I just keep the 1ml syringes in stock

The commercial probiotic I use is Fibreplex

Probiotics Live Gut Microbiome Transfer ('Poo Soup'); Recovery Formula Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links and Transfer Recipe

I use mushed pellets until the recovery food comes if I don't have any left in date from the last time I used it. You can get pro c from P@H in an emergency although it's usually cheaper on line. I do prefer fibreplex or the viovet version.
I usually get the Burgess Dual Care Pellets. They are in individual sachets so you aren't opening it all at once and if it's going out of date I use them up as pellets.
I buy mine on line on sites like The Hay Experts, Viovet, Vetuk, ebay is sometimes cheaper especially if the seller offers free postage. To get the best price you need to shop around, sometimes these things are on offer.
I won't touch amazon either, if amazon's the only place to get something I go without.

Hi

:agr:

I also make do with 'poo soup' (live microbiome transfer from a healthy companion, which is as effective as any product you can buy when done correctly and can be used in parallel with any probiotics) and mushed up pellets until my fresh recovery order comes in. The products cost too much for the huge amount of wastage, to be honest since they tend to have a rather short life span. Fibreplex is my UK go-to product with ongoing digestive or antibiotic issues.

If possible, I avoid Amazon as well but will use them if it is a matter of life/death.

Hi

:agr:

I also make do with 'poo soup' (live microbiome transfer from a healthy companion, which is as effective as any product you can buy when done correctly and can be used in parallel with any probiotics) and mushed up pellets until my fresh recovery order comes in. The products cost too much for the huge amount of wastage, to be honest since they tend to have a rather short life span. Fibreplex is my UK go-to product with ongoing digestive or antibiotic issues.

If possible, I avoid Amazon as well but will use them if it is a matter of life/death.
Does the Fibreplex usually have a good shelf life? Where do you buy it from for quick delivery?

Does the Fibreplex usually have a good shelf life? Where do you buy it from for quick delivery?
Fibreplex is basically a 15 days course of an enhanced dietary paste. It should be used as such in any situation that is more than just a little hiccup and will need that time for ongoing support. Until you can get hold of it, poo soup (unless any companions are also on antibiotics) and normal probiotic powder from a pet shop will usually do; I tend to add a pinch to any pellet mush I make up (which usually goes down better if it is still a little warm so freshly made in small quantities is best).

Amazon Prime is generally the only place you can hold of support products very quickly.

It all depends on how serious the situation is. If it is not a life or death emergency, I prefer to use regular vet supply places.

Back