• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pretty sure it's cancer

4hwkk

New Born Pup
Reaction score
one of my guinea pigs that is four years and eight months old has cancer i believe. her chest appears to be swelling and feels like it is and she also has labored breathing. she has multiple lumps around her body which i thought were benign but i guess not. if you're wondering why i didn't go to a vet earlier was because it costs around five hundred dollars for once visit. we had a visit around eight months ago for another pig who ended up passing away. i just want to know how much longer she has left. once she passes we'll have one pig left and we want to know how we could keep her happy if at all. thank you

I’m sorry to hear this.

I'm afraid we cannot give you any information about how long she has or indeed what may be wrong. Only a hands on vet check can provide you with a diagnosis and the prognosis.

If you are left with a single piggy, then getting her a new friend is the best thing for her but we can provide information on that if and when the time comes

I’m sorry to hear this.

I'm afraid we cannot give you any information about how long she has or indeed what may be wrong. Only a hands on vet check can provide you with a diagnosis and the prognosis.

If you are left with a single piggy, then getting her a new friend is the best thing for her but we can provide information on that if and when the time comes
i believe it's lymphosarcoma

I'm so sorry to hear your news. And I'm sorry to say that if it is indeed cancer she may be in some pain - if not now then eventually. Laboured breathing can obvs be a sign of trouble with the lungs/chest area but can also be a sign of pain. A vet will be able to give you more idea of a prognosis and also provide pain relief for your little girl. Are there any other vets you might try in your area? I'm linking in the guinea lynx page for your state although being British my US geography isn't great so obvs these may still be some distance! Veterinarians: Virginia - Guinea Lynx Records
We'll be thinking of you x

I’m sorry to hear your girl is unwell. Is there any way you could borrow money from a friend or relative to pay the vet fees? Or speak to them about a payment plan of some sort?

I would say you are guessing about what it could be, which I don’t think is helpful for you in particular. She could be in pain, which needs to be managed whatever the cause may be.

I would try and have her seen by the vet. If it’s really not possible with regards funds, then would you consider surrendering her to a rescue that are able to get her treated?

Good luck finding a way.

Sorry your girl is unwell.
Only a vet can give you a proper diagnosis though.
There’s some good suggestions about funding here for you.
Hope something can be worked out.
Holding you in my thoughts.

I hope you can see a vet soon. That’s the only way to know what’s wrong and to help your piggy feel better. Good luck.

Just an update: She died this morning and was comfortable and warm and not in too much pain (I hope). She had a large lump on her neck which began about a day ago and caused her to die. I fed her water and food with a syringe which she ate but still ended up passing.

I’m so sorry they have passed. I’m pleased they were with you and comfortable at the end. Popcorn high at the bridge little piggy. Take care ❤️

She was close to the end then - at least she didn't have the stress of a vet visit at that point. Rest in peace little girl x
I hope you manage to find a suitable solution for your remaining piggy. She will have understood their friend was going but they do feel sad about being alone. Keep an eye on her weight to make sure she's eating OK and spend some extra time with her while you think about what to do 💕

Back