Preparing To Own Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakyclean

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. After a bit of advice. Planning on getting 2 guinea pigs for famity pets. Need to be kept outside due to my allergy unfortunately so advice needed on set up. Can fleece be used for example or would it get damp? So many things to ask but will start here. Like to be properly organised. Many thanks

Thanks. I did read up on the cold weather protection. Will look at bedding.Disappointed as not many rehoming centres near me tho' :(

I've seen the fitch bedding. Would I need anything under that. The hutch has a removable plastic base for cleaning I believe

I've seen the fitch bedding. Would I need anything under that. The hutch has a removable plastic base for cleaning I believe

You can used a bit of newspaper to speed up the cleaning or just put the fitch directly onto it and then strew it with hay; the second means that while it is messier to clean, the fitch stays a bit drier.

Thank you for your help. Do the fleeces not get damp if outside.?

Fleeces will absorb all moisture outside so not an outdoor bedding at all. It wouldn't be nice for the piggies. Indoors they need changing every 2 days also :)

We had planned to have our piggies outside (although that is currently under discussion, anyway...).

Get a well made, pre treated hutch that is suitable for outdoors.
Also investigate hutch covers. We choose a hutch that came with it's own thermal and waterproof cover for the cooler months or wet days.
Think carefully about where it will be positioned - close to the house, slightly protected, and not in full sun is good.
Bring everything home and get it all set up before you collect your guinea pigs, so when they arrive they won't be sitting in a carrier while you fiddle about with bedding and water bottles!
Give some thought to food storage. We got a couple of large plastic bins with locking lids for hay and bedding. This keeps everything dry and away from rats. We put a couple of bricks in the bottom of each bin to stop them blowing over when it is windy. Food is stored in the house, by the back door.
Look at your garden security and plan to protect the hutch from predators (cats, foxes, etc). We also have a continual stream of kids in and out of the garden, so bought extra bolts and locks for the hutch doors so they couldn't be opened by accident.
As for bedding we started with Auboise and so far are very happy with it. However although we bought a large sack (35 liters) we always knew if we didn't like it we could change at a later date.

I hope some of that is helpful. As I said at the start our pigs are still inside because they came home earlier than planned and it was simply too cold to put them out just yet, but we did a lot of research, and some of the above are things we have done with a view to them living outside.

Thanks so much
Can I ask the least stressful way to transport home and introduce to their new surroundingsite.

Please remember it's too cold to house babies outside at this time of the year. If they are to be children's pets then you will need to handle them for them as piggies are very skittish until they get used to you, unless you are getting an older pair from a rescue. Also you need to consider the possibility that if your children don't look after them properly every day then most of the care/cleaning/handling will be down to you, so if you can take antihistamines to help with your allergy that would help a great deal. If you can't then you need to think very carefully about having them as pets if you are truly allergic & cannot be anywhere near them at all :)

Planning to rehome two. I just can'take have indoors. They will be for us all to look after but more so me.Thank you

They will be for us all to look after but more so me.Thank you

At least you are being realistic about their care. :D

Our guinea pigs 'technically' belong to the children (ages 9 and 11) and they had to work very hard to earn the privilege of taking on the responsibility of the care and welfare of a living creature. But I am also a realist. They help out a lot and spend a lot of time with their pets, but the ultimate responsibility still falls to me as the adult (just don't tell the kids!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back