• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pregnancy in young sows...

• Thread starter Thread starter smiler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smiler

I have a potentially pregnant sow in the rescue...

Shes a bit smaller than my 2 girls...maybe 3/4 momths at a push..ive just checked her over, and I think she is pregnant...

I put her down to watch how she walks as she also has an infected claw...and shes walking like a very very pregnant sow...kinda waddling...2 steps, then she stops, I know she will obv be very scared...but its worrying me...

My question is...what is my best option with this pregnancy? I am very seriously thinking abortion...whether shes pregnant or maybe just fat, whatever shes carrying already looks too much for her....what do you guys think? Is that even a viable option?

Is it possible for her to pass any babies through at that age?

Is itbetter for her to be left alone, or for me to pair her?

I'm really worried about the little thing...because of her coat I cant see a pear...she just looks sooo big compared to her tiny head...I will get some picxs when I can hunt down some batteries..she looks so sad :(

Her shape is like this, obviously head, then body ; oO

Well she was left in with dad and brothers, and they only got taken out a few days ago >:( :(

Untitledl.jpg

This is a pic of her from above...as you can see she has a puffy coat, but when you can fele her, its not a tight tummy...I'm fairly sure shes pregnant...

Her tummy touches the floor, and her back legs are kinda....wel she waddles with them :-\

SHe was born on the 10/11 last year the breeder said...

Some more piccies here; http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17272.0

My Phoebe gave birth to still born young and was probably mated at around 5 weeks. I would let her go full term, lots of guineas give birth at this age- not ideal (!) but not impossible. She may be too far gone for Oxytocin and would need caesarian, I would never put a sow through that again.

The babies can only grow as big as her body lets them I'd have thought, so yes to them passing, they could of course die- but I wouldn't have thought so?

I'd try and pair her if possible. Do you have a castrated boar? They make superb dads :)

She looks like a kind of Rexoid ;D

Id just see how she goes as i dont agree with abortion in humans or animals 0:)
But she is young and what is that Oxytocin ?

Oxytocin is a hormone given to stimulate birth (or was the last time needed it). They may have something different now. What I meant was she may need to have an op as oppsed to 'stimulating' the birth :)

thanks for that Karen, very helpful! Does she look pregnant to you?

Mind you, as soon as I picked her up I knew she was...

Do you think the bubbies will be stillborn? I am going to bond her with Phoebe and Ella I think...and then keep her next door if it gets too mcuh for her (in c&c if she looks like shes having a hard time..)

I really do think the poor girls been caught, in which case she will be kept here forever with us :'(

I do have a neutered here at the moemnt but with a wife....mind you I would split them to make things easier for her if you think thats a better idea?

Aww poor love she looks pregnant to me :'( hope all goes ok only time will tell

I had a sow who had been left with her dad untill we rehomed her and when she had pups she was just over 3 months . I was very worried but she had 3 beautiful babies and she is a lovely mum , her sister is a lot bigger so it obviously affected her growth in the short term . I have kept all three! 2 girls and a boy but seperated them at 3 weeks 9 squeeky pigs are enough for me. Clover and her babies are in my profile picture (underneath my name <<<)

Thank you so much for that! Its filled me with a lot of hope that things will be okay :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I could kiss you! ;D :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

They are gorgeous piggies too :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thats exactly what I did Karen....they are all getting on very very well :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

PP, I have experience with older sows as you know already :P
Will PM you with some advice if you want?

Well Ellas always been really bossy, but that works out okay, as the other two arent! ;D ;D

Phoebe has really taken her under her wing and they are all snug together :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Cherry, i got Bijou aged approx 7wks she gave birth to Fitz 6wks later making her a baby when she got pregnant. She did fine, he was a single but large baby.

Fingers crossed for this little lady glad she is getting on with he rnew friends she is :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back