• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

potters tebritis

• Thread starter Thread starter tanith
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tanith

I got in touch with Wendi from the thistle cavie rescue place and she has recommended that i get some Potters Tebritis for my paralyzed piggy. I've had a look at what it is and where to get it and i'm a bit confused......do i get the tablets or the oil, which is best? If it's the tablets then how would i get them into her? Also the tablet version says about the ingredients.......Elder Flowers induces perspiration. Prickly Ash Bark stimulates the circulation. Yarrow is anti-inflammatory. Dry Extract Burdock Root and Dry Extract Clivers are eliminatory. Dry Extract Poplar Bark is anti-rheumatic and a weak pain killer. Dry extract Uva Ursi is diuretic.
Dairy Free, Added Sugar, Vegan, Wheat Free, Yeast Free, but the other ingredients i wonder about in the tablets are - Sucrose, Acacia, Dextrose Monohydrate, Talc, Maize Starch, Alginic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Ethyl Cellulose. ...Are these safe?

Would any of these things which induce perspiration and are a diuretic not be bad for her and would they react the same in a rubbing oil preparation?

If i was to use the oil version would i rub it into her legs, hips and back? Would it work through her fur, which is short?

I have used this too for my piggy who has a jaw problem. I bought the tablet form and gave him quarter of a tablet a day. Crushed this up, mixed it in water and syringed it in to him. Not much more I can tell you apart from it done him no harm but not sure if it done any good either! His problem seems to have eased so I am no longer using it. If you are in any doubt get in touch with Wendi again and ask. She won't mind!

Tablets for sure - just crush between a spoon to make a powder and then disolve in some water and give by syringe.

Thanks for the replies, i will get some tomorrow and give it a go. I'm so glad i found this site, wish i'd found it long ago O0 :)

I use it on my pigs with Osteodystrophy but they soon move onto Meadow Sweet syrup which is better for them, then Rimadyl... There is a risk with everything you give, its impossible to say its 100% safe. I break the tabs into pieces and put them to the back of the mouth, I find that the easiest way to give them.

How much should i give her and should i split it over the day or give it all in one go? I will have a go with putting the bits of tablet in her mouth, i'm not to good at getting the mouth open though, any tips for this would be appreciated. I used to be able to get the cats tablets down with no problems so i'm sure i can do it with a bit of practice.
I've noticed that i can buy dried meadowsweet, would she self medicate if i gave her some? Do you think i should just give her meadowsweet syrup straight away rather than potters tebritis?
Sorry for lots of questions ::)

Meadowsweet syrup is available as a syrup from Galens Garden I wouldn't leave her to self medicate if she were mine. Has she seen a vet? Have you tried swimming therapy?

You're the best judge of which treatment as you can see her :) Perhaps start her on the Tabritis Tabs first and order the Meadow Sweet in anyway.

Why is she paralyzed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back