• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Potential Ovarian cysts, what to do

Engel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I will be taking Eileithya-Eris to the vet. Just want to talk things through first.

I've noticed a gradual loss in condition over the past few months but I put it down to her age as she is 4+ now. However in the past 1-2 weeks I've noticed her hair thinning on her sides where the ovaries would be as well as around the grease gland (I put the grease gland part down to it being over active). I've had a feeling of her and I can feel a lot of lumps around the ovary area, I don't mean 1 or 2 we're talking nearer to 10, some seem to be floating around the area while others seem attached. It could be one big bobbly mess but they feel separate from one another. Each 'lump' is the size of a small pea.

Part of me hopes it's just ovarian cysts however I've had many female rodents be like this and it's turned out to be cancer. She is eating but I don't know whether she's not eating enough hence the weight loss OR because all her reserves are being used to feed the growths.

Given her age and the fact her brother died suddenly of an assumed heart attack a few months ago, I'm a bit wary about putting her under to be spayed especially if this will buy her weeks/months and not years.

She's rumble strutting a lot (like she's in season) and her cage mates are rumbling back and there's a lot of chasing and jumping which is to be expected if these growths are messing with hormones.

I'm at a loss what to do. I know it won't be fair keeping her in this condition as she's in some discomfort hence the pulling out of hair.

Edit: in the past 6-7 months she's gone from 1050g to 868g.

Disclaimer: I will be taking Eileithya-Eris to the vet. Just want to talk things through first.

I've noticed a gradual loss in condition over the past few months but I put it down to her age as she is 4+ now. However in the past 1-2 weeks I've noticed her hair thinning on her sides where the ovaries would be as well as around the grease gland (I put the grease gland part down to it being over active). I've had a feeling of her and I can feel a lot of lumps around the ovary area, I don't mean 1 or 2 we're talking nearer to 10, some seem to be floating around the area while others seem attached. It could be one big bobbly mess but they feel separate from one another. Each 'lump' is the size of a small pea.

Part of me hopes it's just ovarian cysts however I've had many female rodents be like this and it's turned out to be cancer. She is eating but I don't know whether she's not eating enough hence the weight loss OR because all her reserves are being used to feed the growths.

Given her age and the fact her brother died suddenly of an assumed heart attack a few months ago, I'm a bit wary about putting her under to be spayed especially if this will buy her weeks/months and not years.

She's rumble strutting a lot (like she's in season) and her cage mates are rumbling back and there's a lot of chasing and jumping which is to be expected if these growths are messing with hormones.

I'm at a loss what to do. I know it won't be fair keeping her in this condition as she's in some discomfort hence the pulling out of hair.

Edit: in the past 6-7 months she's gone from 1050g to 868g.

Hi

I am very sorry. It sounds like at least some of the lumps are hormonal cysts. 2-4 years is the typical age for them; later on the 'silent' fluid filled ones take over.

Unfortunately, this is an issue that needs a vet's expert examination and diagnosis; it may turn out best to opt for an ovari-ectomy or a full spay, depending on the state of the womb and other findings. But sight unseen we cannot comment. Any speculation will only serve to feed your anxiety and your fears without helping you.

I have had several of my own sows successfully emergency spayed at 5 years of age at the Cat&Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton, whether that was for a cyst that would have turned cancerous if left (Morwenna lived to celebrate her 8th adoption anniversary) or for a very fast growing large fluid filled cyst (her sister Mererid passed away just 9 days short of her 8th birthday. They were not my only ones.

Thought I'd update this as I have some news. The vet isn't happy about surgery (nor am I if I'm honest) as she's considered very high risk/compromised piggy. Even with sedation with the intention of draining some cysts it's very high risk. There's nothing they can do. She has the vets again on Thursday for a check over and quality of life talk. Given the fact she's lost weight and condition. The one lump has gone from the size of a pea to the size of a grape in 2-3 weeks, I wondering if it's time to let her go, peacefully. I know should one burst she'll be in a mess and pain. I don't want that for her.

Have you considered HCG hormone injections?
They don't work for some types of cyst but both my piggies RB Ellie & currently Tiggy (6yrs approx.) have had them.

Tiggys were at the beginning of the year & her hair has grown back on her sides considerably... although Wendy does keep barbering her so it's grown back more in some places than others!

I'll try and find my threads later if you'd like me to?

Ellie (6yrs) had 2x injections 10-14 days apart,then another 2x about 12months later her cyst reduced dramatically within a month, it was approx.walnut sized & you couldn't feel it after the injections .
She also had persistent uti's & genital bleeding. But only had one bad bleed after the injections,then none afterwards. :D
Hope this helps?
Xx

The vet hasn't offered it so I don't know if it's something they're aware of. How much do the injections cost?
I just worry as she's bony and the one lump is growing quickly. I'll see if I can find your threads.

With Ellie she was 6yo &the vet said she wasn't confident enough to operate on her to spay her or drain the cyst. She told me it was palliative care.
However I'd been researching here & kind of assumed it was cysts. So I asked her what she thought of the injections, she hadn't heard of them with guinea pigs, the HCG chorulon hormone injections are normally with cattle.

She asked if I'd wait for her to make a phone call & rang the drug supplier.
They gave her the dosage and more information on treatment.
She was happy to try it if I wanted to.
Ellies injections were about £20 each plus appointment fee, the vet gave her an ultrasound to diagnose the cyst - I don't think she charged me for that, although it's a few years ago now.
Tiggys injections were this year I'll try to find find the receipt, possibly £25-£30 each now. Although they're not an exotic vets and are reasonably priced generally :tu:
I have heard of members on here being charged approx. £60 per injection though!

Here's some info...

A different thread

Last edited:
Ps , If your vet does do the injections - have a look online to see if the vials can be bought cheaper online. They usually charge a prescription fee, but might be cheaper doing it that way, even if you get the vials delivered to the vets?
Chorulon
I've used viovet before and they're reliable, but there are cheaper websites.
Hyperdrug I think is one ?

Nothing to add – just wanted to offer my support as you navigate this difficult situation with your girl.

Back