• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Potential damaged leg/potential ovarian cysts

TheGuineaPiggeryat9

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I picked up a rescue pig today who I was told was 8 months old. When I turned up to collect her she was from a breeder in not so great conditions. When I got her home she was covered in poo and wee. We bathed her and sorted her nails(think she may have slight bumble foot). We put her in her c&c and noticed she want walking right, on closer inspection we believe she maybe pregnant. She’s eating but not really moving much. I can imagine that the whole process of moving to somewhere different is stressful but I have rehomed pigs before and she’s acting very unusual. She’s sort of lying to the side with her leg out and seems to sort of so an odd shake of her body, she’s also quite one sided weight wise. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to take her to the vets tomorrow for a check over.

Hi, I picked up a rescue pig today who I was told was 8 months old. When I turned up to collect her she was from a breeder in not so great conditions. When I got her home she was covered in poo and wee. We bathed her and sorted her nails(think she may have slight bumble foot). We put her in her c&c and noticed she want walking right, on closer inspection we believe she maybe pregnant. She’s eating but not really moving much. I can imagine that the whole process of moving to somewhere different is stressful but I have rehomed pigs before and she’s acting very unusual. She’s sort of lying to the side with her leg out and seems to sort of so an odd shake of her body, she’s also quite one sided weight wise. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to take her to the vets tomorrow for a check over.
Pic of her in on my profile page.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck at the vets. I hope she’s ok.

She’s staying in for X-rays as they think her back leg has definitely either been damaged in the past and healed or something wrong currently as it very swollen. And she’s not putting wait on it. They don’t think she’s pregnant but maybe has an ovarian cyst 😢 really said how people treat their animals then sell them on. Luckily I am in the position to be able to help and had pigs before so knew something was wrong, but other people could of just left her suffering 😢 x

Poor girl. She is very lucky to have you to help her.

Let us know how things go

I will move your thread out of the pregnancy section and into the health section (and change its title for clarity) for ongoing support.

Could it be a mammary tumor? When I had my rats that’s what she looked like when it got bigger, I’m not an expert by any means, but it does look quite similar. Poor girl, she’s very lucky to have been saved, sending positive vibes

Just had phone call from the vet. The leg they either think it’s an old injury that has healed incorrectly, or even she could have developed incorrectly because of insufficient vitamins etc when she was growing. The growth they can’t see anything to be anything really bad. Couldn’t see that well on the ultrasound as she had lots of undigested food…(think she must of gorged a bit as she had decent food given for a change). Definitely no babies so that’s good. She’s coming home with metacam and joint supplements. She will be monitored closely to see how she gets on in the next week or so. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Just had phone call from the vet. The leg they either think it’s an old injury that has healed incorrectly, or even she could have developed incorrectly because of insufficient vitamins etc when she was growing. The growth they can’t see anything to be anything really bad. Couldn’t see that well on the ultrasound as she had lots of undigested food…(think she must of gorged a bit as she had decent food given for a change). Definitely no babies so that’s good. She’s coming home with metacam and joint supplements. She will be monitored closely to see how she gets on in the next week or so. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
That’s good news I mean considering what it could have been, I think she’ll be just fine in your care, you’ve given her a chance to live a well taken care of life

Yep could have been so much worse. To be honest I wasn’t expecting a great outcome. Just hope with pain killers, supplements and correct food she will have a decent quality of life. She’s a very sweet pig glad I could give her a better restart in life. X

That is good news - she will flourish with your tender care ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Thanks everyone for your lovely words. I have got everything crossed for her. I also re homed a single 4 year old sow who has lost all her herd over the last couple of years. She’s doing very well so hopefully when Pearl is feeling well enough I will bond them together before introducing them to the rest of the pig family. X

Unfortunately we had to say goodbye to Pearl this morning 😢 she started having a fit and vet thinks it was a neurological problems. I really think she definitely didn’t have a very good start in life but hopefully she had a good last couple of days. Going to bring her home to bury in the garden. Xx

I'm so sorry for your loss :hug:
Poor little one to suffer such bad treatment in her short life 😢 😪 At least she knew some love and kindness in her last days, well done to you for giving her that and the chance of a better life.
Popcorn free little one 🌈

Oh so sorry to hear about Pearl. It is comforting that she was well cared for in her last few days. Sleep tight little Pearl 🌈❤️

I’m so sorry to hear that. Popcorn high over the bridge Pearl.

So sorry for your loss.
You gave Pearl a good life even if just a short while.
She will have known she was loved.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

Back