• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post operative struggles :(

Celias133

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig Chase is starting to get quite notorious for his on and off health issues…

About 10 days ago i picked him up and noticed that is weight had dropped. I wasn’t prepared for what i saw on the scale though… He always weighs around 1120 grams, but when i put him on the scale he was only 895 😳 instantly started our critical care feeds, day and night. Very unfortunately my amazing exotic vet was on holiday. I do not really trust him to go to our local vet as they are 3 times more expensive and they often openly admit they do not know much about guinea pigs.

in the weekend of 21/22 september, his health was declining. He was having alot of difficulty peeing and was eating next to nothing anymore (luckily i was already feeding him every 4 hours) he stopped eating hay fully. Everytime i would pick him up he would be so soaked in urine as it was constantly dripping out in small droplets and he was not moving at all. I had to clean him quite regularly. On monday i took my chances and went to my local vet anyways to take some xrays and as i would expect: bladder stones. Ofcourse my local vet suggested to euthanize him (as they always do) but i said i wanted to talk to my exotic vet first as i trust her the most.

Between monday and thursday me and my wife argued alot… she can really not take it anymore. The endless costs, the endless worrying and the struggles we have with our bosses at work (cuz we have to take parts of our shift off to go to the vet) and somewhere i know she is right but i wanted to wait for the verdict on thursday.

When we came in on thursday my exotic vet did say he was pretty skinny but she was quite positive about surgery and wanted to give it a shot. (Chase had surgery multiple times for this) We made the decision to operate.

After that was decided we left him at the vet to pick him up the next day. My vet said it had been quite the adventure to get the stones out. One pretty big stone was fully stuck in his penis. She tried flushing it up to get it out via the bladder. That did not work out and she eventually had to pull it out through the penis. That will obviously be a painful road to recovery.

He ate veggies right after surgery but refuses hay. Its been 3,5 days since surgery and over 10 days in total without hay.. there is nothing i can do to get him to eat it and i am really out of ideas! Hay houses, hay rolls, hiding it in toilet rolls and you name it.. does anybody have tips on how to make him eat hay? He used to be a huge hay muncher but he just doesn’t. He does nag for veggies quite alot and bites at the bars for food.(while he was under, the vet checked for teeth issues but she couldn’t spot any)

Any ideas? Or do i have to be patient and will he eat hay again eventually? Cuz it has me worried quite alot.

Kind regards :)

Celias

I’m sorry to hear of the issues.

First thing, how much pain medication is he on?
It’s so important pain is managed properly as a piggy in pain will be reluctant to eat.
3.5 days since such a major surgery is not much time at all - he may just need longer.

Secondly, are you weighing him daily to ensure he is being syringe fed enough to stabilise his weight. With total lack of hay intake, you are aiming for a minimum of 60ml per 24 hour period.

I’m sorry to hear of the issues.

First thing, how much pain medication is he on?
It’s so important pain is managed properly as a piggy in pain will be reluctant to eat.
3.5 days since such a major surgery is not much time at all - he may just need longer.

Secondly, are you weighing him daily to ensure he is being syringe fed enough to stabilise his weight. With total lack of hay intake, you are aiming for a minimum of 60ml per 24 hour period.
thanks for your comment :)

He is on metacam. 0,3 ml per 7,5 hours. I weigh daily and his weight is stable but really low. I hope indeed that over time he will show more interest in hay. His apetite does exist, as long as its not hay, he is willing to eat it. I got him a hay ball that is tied together with a straw string and he is willing to eat the straw string, but refuses the hay. Really strange. I feed him critical care every 4 hours 10ml per feed. I also feed during the nights

I’m so sorry your piggy is poorly. Sending healing vibes and hugs to you. ❤️

I've had several piggies slow to get back to eating hay after surgery. I find fresh grass is more acceptable to them if you have clean dog pee free grass available. It's very good for grinding the teeth when they won't accept hay. I offer it during syringe feeding, during and at the end as well as in small piles a few times a day. It's important to start off slowly with grass if they are not used to it as it can cause bloat and other tummy problems if fed too much too quickly. I will link the forum grass thread for your information. Obviously not for the outside run bit!

Sending Chase healing vibes, get well soon.

I've had several piggies slow to get back to eating hay after surgery. I find fresh grass is more acceptable to them if you have clean dog pee free grass available. It's very good for grinding the teeth when they won't accept hay. I offer it during syringe feeding, during and at the end as well as in small piles a few times a day. It's important to start off slowly with grass if they are not used to it as it can cause bloat and other tummy problems if fed too much too quickly. I will link the forum grass thread for your information. Obviously not for the outside run bit!

Sending Chase healing vibes, get well soon.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can try to feed him some grass. He does like to eat grass.

Today he had a tiny bit of hay, so i would call that progress :)

Back