Post-Death Help

beta45

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, my guinea pig died today due to an attack from another dog. I have another guinea pig, a more shy one, who witnessed the attack. We went to the vet and she died before we could put her down. My other guinea pig was there and we gave her time with her sister before leaving. We do not plan to get another guinea pig, and want to know what we can do to support our current one.

Hi, my guinea pig died today due to an attack from another dog. I have another guinea pig, a more shy one, who witnessed the attack. We went to the vet and she died before we could put her down. My other guinea pig was there and we gave her time with her sister before leaving. We do not plan to get another guinea pig, and want to know what we can do to support our current one.

Hi and welcome

HUGS

I am ever so sorry about the attack. It must have been a very traumatic experience. I am sure that you are going to take any possible steps to prevent a reoccurrance.

Unfortunately, it only takes seconds; but as dogs shake usually guinea pigs they cause a lot of internal damage even if they do not break the skin. :(

How old is your surviving guinea pig? Companionship will help her enormously with the trauma; guinea pigs are group animals and not wired to live on their own. You may be able to find a similar aged companion in a rescue.

Here is more practical information:
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

And for yourself: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Hi and welcome

HUGS

I am ever so sorry about the attack. It must have been a very traumatic experience. I am sure that you are going to take any possible steps to prevent a reoccurrance.

Unfortunately, it only takes seconds; but as dogs shake usually guinea pigs they cause a lot of internal damage even if they do not break the skin. :(

How old is your surviving guinea pig? Companionship will help her enormously with the trauma; guinea pigs are group animals and not wired to live on their own. You may be able to find a similar aged companion in a rescue.

Here is more practical information:
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

And for yourself: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Thank you for the help. My surviving guinea pig is around 3-4 years old. We are not looking for another guinea pig, so what can we do with her alone?

I'm so sorry for your loss.

There is little you can do to meet all of her needs if you plan to keep her alone. As Wiebke has said social interaction is very important to piggies, they can really struggle without the companionship of another piggy particularly with a piggy of her age, she has many years ahead of her, too many to be alone. Human interaction is not enough so while you can keep her occupied for short periods of time and by using enrichment techniques, it won’t come close to the round the clock social interaction from another piggy that she needs. If you could reconsider getting her a friend, then that really would be best for her.

She’s still really young. You do get to a point where you have to have the last pig and it’s tough to know what to do. When Timmy died we made the decision not to get a companion for Jenny and in retrospect I regret that. My decision was based on her age, she was about 7.5, so old and we didn’t want to begin a cycle of old and young pigs. I considered rehoming her so she could live out her days with other pigs but at her age I thought it would be too traumatic. So I thought she’d pass relatively quickly. Over a year later and she is very elderly, frail and I’d rather she wasn’t alone.

If you don’t want to end up in a cycle then you could try and bond her with an older pig. You could see about fostering so the new pig is returned when your old pig passes (I didn’t feel this was fair on the foster to have a lovely home with us then be moved on) or even consider rehoming her to be a companion for another pig.

Keeping her alone is a lot of work and you will never be able to give what a pig can no matter how hard you try.

Thank you for the help. My surviving guinea pig is around 3-4 years old. We are not looking for another guinea pig, so what can we do with her alone?

Hi

Please consider contacting Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue for companionship options that allow you to end ownership with the death of your currently single piggy without creating a see-saw issue where any new companion can return to the rescue afterwards. Your surviving are still too young to live on their own for years. In their own life span, this translates to decades in view of the average life span being 5-7 years and that your suviving piggy has still very likely another 2-4 years of life left.

I can recommend the rescue most warmly.
Facebook: MPGR.org

Hi, I have been considering and most likely rehoming my guinea pig to a trusted family friend who is willing to take on another piggy and take care of them both.
That’s a really hard decision but the sign of an owner that really cares about the welfare of their pig. And you will be able to keep in touch and know they are ok.

Hi, I have been considering and most likely rehoming my guinea pig to a trusted family friend who is willing to take on another piggy and take care of them both.

If your friend is willing, then they are welcome to join us on here. We are a friendly and supportive bunch and have lots of very helpful information for new owners as well.

So sorry for your traumatic loss.
I can’t add to the advice you’ve been given but want to offer support.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.

Hi

Please consider contacting Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue for companionship options that allow you to end ownership with the death of your currently single piggy without creating a see-saw issue where any new companion can return to the rescue afterwards. Your surviving are still too young to live on their own for years. In their own life span, this translates to decades in view of the average life span being 5-7 years and that your suviving piggy has still very likely another 2-4 years of life left.

I can recommend the rescue most warmly.
Facebook: MPGR.org
Just had a quick look at the Metropolitan site, looks like it's in America?

Just had a quick look at the Metropolitan site, looks like it's in America?

It is the closest good standard guinea pig rescue to the poster, who is based in Maryland, USA.
Please be aware that we have members and enquiries from literally all over the world and that our advice and recommendations may vary depending on climate and general conditions, vet and rescue access in that particular country the poster is in. It is part of the personally tailored support service we try to provide. ;)

Back