• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post 4 member all female herd attack

OrlandoPigMom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
On Saturday there was a horrific attack on our herd of four. While pet sitting for a friend’s dog who was supposedly secured in a large metal pen and our herd was in an appropriate enclosure in a room with a door that was secured I had to run to the store. I had no worries about this as all of the animals were secured (or so i believed) and completely separated and I was going to be gone only a short time (about 30 minutes). Much to my dismay and horror I came home to a massacre. Our youngest guinea was dead when I got back and the other three were traumatized and hiding. I rushed them to the vet immediately… unfortunately one of the survivors had to be euthanized. I am still reeling from this I am full of sadness and guilt on top of desperately missing my two girls. But I know that the two survivors are even more traumatized. They are on pain meds, antibiotics, and CC as a precaution. I also have gotten a completely new enclosure, moved it to another room, and removed all of the old hides and replaced them with brand new ones. But I don’t know what else to do to help them emotionally. They cower in fear whenever I enter to give them their meds. I have been trying to leave them alone as much as I can but do spend a little time with them (not physically holding them) speaking softly and giving them their daily veg. But when they are not frozen in fear they are chattering their teeth or literally shaking in fear. I understand why…. I’m just looking for ways to help them cope. I know I will likely never have my old piggies and the trauma will affect them for a long time. But I want to be the best mom and make sure I am doing everything possible for them.

I’m so sorry for your loss. How awful. Unfortunately accidents do happen. Sending you massive hugs and healing vibes to your piggies. It sounds like you are doing everything you can for them. Maybe you could cover the end of their enclosure with a blanket so they feel extra safe. I hope they are ok. ❤️

I am so sorry, what a horrific thing to happen and it was in no way your fault. I have a dog and piggies at home and I would have felt happy to go out in the situation you described - closed door between them, both secured. You took every precaution and it’s just extremely sad that accidents can still happen, but please know that it was not your fault at all

With the last two I’d wait for more experienced members for advice - I am not knowledgable enough just wanted to send support. I did also think maybe a blanket over the cage just to add extra security might be a good idea and leave them alone as much as possible as you are already doing. Sending lots of hugs for you and them

So sorry to hear this, I cant imagine how scary that was for you.
Just bumping your post up so one of our forum experts can give you some advice, but I wanted to wish you all the best ♥️

Just wanted to bump your post up as it seems to have been missed by our forum experts.
How are the girls now?

I am so sorry for your losses and the trauma.
I hope that with time and your gentle love the 2 survivors will recover from the shock.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

I am so sorry for your losses, it must have been a terrible shock for you. Only time will heal these little piggies. in the meantime you must make sure that they are as secure as possible. Maybe a side lock on the door where your piggies are kept

BIG HUGS

I am so sorry for your losses. It is not down to any negligence of yours, it is just one these unforeseeable freak accidents that you can never brace for but that come as such a massive shock and that take a very long time to get over, as I know from when a neighbour's dog managd to burrow nder their badly maintained fence and break into the lidded run we used for your family guinea pigs on the lawn. we only found my own boy with a broken neck in the brambles on the following day while my sister was greeted by the sight of the dog having her own piggy in his mouth. :(

Please google for help with either pet bereavement services or mental health ones. The best thing you can do is talk it out of you as much as possible to minimise the risk of it festering.
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Please place sheet over the cage to give your piggies a greater feel of security and organise a lid for the cage as well as a lock for the door. An attack right in their home and safest place is very disturbing. It will take your piggies a long time to get over it, which is unfortunately not easing your own burden.
Use our piggy whispering tips to avoid any predatory behaviours that could trigger their sky high prey animal instincts and to assure their in their own social 'language' which reaches farther and makes more sense. It is going to take quite a while for those instincts to settle down sadly. You have to quite literally start back in square one.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

PS: I am very sorry that your thread has gone a bit lost. We are spread out a bit thin at the moment and with me having Long Covid there are limits as to how much comfort I can give to others on the days I am struggling myself. It's a carefully judged balance act these days when living with very low levels of energy; not disrespect or the intentions snubbing of anybody. The comfort I give on here comes from my own bodily and mental resources; it is not something I can magic up out of nowhere. If I feel stressed with a certain thread due to autobiograpical or health aspects, then I have to leave be for my own protection. This for the information and understanding of our members.

Back