Possibly getting a dog

Piggles_The_skinny pig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I'll put it here. We might be getting a dog (Either a puppy or adult, not sure yet) and was wondering what to do to get the guinea pigs/dog used to each other. Any tips would be useful!

I don't plan on letting them be in the same room all the time. If my parents allow me I'd like to get a gate for the room so the door could still be open but the dog wouldn't have complete access to them.

How exciting. A new doggy 🥰.

Are your piggies on the floor or raised up? Mine are up high so my dog can’t see into the cage anyway. When I feed them their veggies Chester sometimes comes into the room with me and he always gets a piece of cucumber or a pea flake for sitting nicely. I close him out if I have to handle them. When I leave the house the piggy room gets closed. They are not bothered by his barking or his squeaky toys.

Good luck you will have to be very vigilant as we do see that accidents can happen sadly.

Post piccies once you get your new addition 🐶

I have a dog and I was advised by one rescue NOT to have a terrier type dog as they have a very strong predatory trait and would try to get to piggies. I had wanted a patterdale terrier. So going on that advice I got Oscar and he was rehomed from the Chinese crested rescue - I had the piggies before him. My boars are set up in the dining area of my sitting room.
Bobby annd Geoff are in a c&c cage but it is elevated. There is also a lid.
Oscar is not interested in them and they aren’t bothered by him BUT he is never left alone with them.
He is always out of the room if I’m handling them / health checking etc.
If I’m out he is away from that room. I wanted to have them there as we are interacting regularly and they are used to the household noises, tv,hoover and of course can hear the fridge opening which is far away 😂 how do they know….😂
With careful thought and planning it is possible as weepweeps said 🥰

Chester is a terrier! He definitely has a high prey drive. 100% he would attack the piggies given the chance. But he’s really not bothered with them as he can’t see them. He’s more interested in stealing hay and poops from the floor.

How exciting. A new doggy 🥰.

Are your piggies on the floor or raised up? Mine are up high so my dog can’t see into the cage anyway. When I feed them their veggies Chester sometimes comes into the room with me and he always gets a piece of cucumber or a pea flake for sitting nicely. I close him out if I have to handle them. When I leave the house the piggy room gets closed. They are not bothered by his barking or his squeaky toys.

Good luck you will have to be very vigilant as we do see that accidents can happen sadly.

Post piccies once you get your new addition 🐶
Thanks for all the help! however we decided now is not the right time to bring a dog/puppy into our life! I'll come back to this in the future if we get a dog later on!

Back