• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possibly blind pig

katew

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

We have an old boy. I would have to check his dates but he is easily 7 or possibly 8. He has always been small for a male but very healthy. We got him as a small rescue baby and he has never needed to go to the vet. He is definitely slowing down and I have stopped weighing him because I just want to be gentle with him and I think the vet would stress him out. He is drinking and peeing a lot so I think he may have kidney issues but he is eating voraciously. However, one of his eyes is cloudy so I think he has something like a cataract. My daughter thinks he is struggling to see over all - he particularly likes one of his homes and to lie in the sun eating hay. I will keep the layout of our hides the same so he has consistency but has anyone any other suggestions? We know he is on his way out but I want to make it as stress free as possible.

Regarding the eye, depending on how it looks - are you certain it is a cataract and not a treatable haypoke? That would just be my first thought.

I actually would continue to weigh him - I have an elderly pig too - to monitor his general health.

Should it be kidney issues than other than ensuring he is comfortable and not in any pain, there wouldn’t be anything a vet could do in any event.

The guide below will also help in caring for an elderly piggy

Regarding the eye, depending on how it looks - are you certain it is a cataract and not a treatable haypoke? That would just be my first thought.

I actually would continue to weigh him - I have an elderly pig too - to monitor his general health.

Should it be kidney issues than other than ensuring he is comfortable and not in any pain, there wouldn’t be anything a vet could do in any event.

The guide below will also help in caring for an elderly piggy

Thank you - I love the resources available here

Really sorry but we had him put down tonight - I am so broken but we wouldn't risk him suffering. He got fly strike and it can escalate so literally matter of hours. I want to people to be aware. It is grim.

Sorry for your loss 💔

Back