• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible URI - started a Baytril course myself tonight - nervous!

• Thread starter Thread starter PigPog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PigPog

Two days ago Rupert's breathing started getting croaky and you can feel his chest rattle when he breathes. I put him out in the shed a few days ago after he had a few days living in the house. The house is warmer than the shed, although the shed is heated. He hasn't lost any weight for two weeks (he's constantly been 1lb 15oz which is okay because he's a fairly young adult Himalayan, which is quite a small breed anyway! :D).

I'm wondering if he's got a URI due to moving from the house to the shed in winter. He's eating (his dinner's always gone in the morning) but I don't generally get to see him exploring his hutch. He's a very nervous pig anyway so that might not mean much, but he could be lethargic also.

Based on a conversation I had with the emergency vet when Rupert got bitten by Pogo last week where we discussed his weight to gain the correct dosage of Baytril (we usually have some in the fridge), I've started him on a course of 0.1 Baytril starting tonight. I'm going to call my vet in the morning to see what he says, and I'm hoping he's going to suggest what I've already started doing or even up the dose a bit (the dose I'm using is based on a bite, so the dose for a URI is probably a bit higher, more like 0.2 I think).

Does this sound like a URI to anyone here? This is my first time starting a course by myself, so I'm a bit nervous but I think my vet will be pleasantly surprised. :D I'm doing it under professional advice (well, when he got bitten I did. Now I'm using that information to start him off on antibiotics for tonight). I hope I'm doing alright. :-\

Yep one of mine had 0.2mls of baytril for a week for a mild URI and it worked. One of my others had quite a bad URI and he's had 2 weeks of baytril and now 2 weeks of septrin and its only just starting to clear hopefully! I think you're doing the right thing :) but if he hasnt cleared in a week i'd ask for septrin, i think its a better drug for URI's if they are a bit more severe! Good luck xxxxx

Duke is just over 1000g which is just over the 2lb mark and he's allowed to have 0.4ml twice a day.
I would think 0.3 would be fine as this is what he used to have when he was much smaller :)
Good on you for having some emergency supplies O0 I do know a few of the girls say Septrin is really good for URI's
Sending Rupert healing wheeks from us both :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

My vet hasn't called as yet but he's probably really busy as usual. ::) I've upped the dosage to 0.2 as per my chatting with you guys. He's still really grumbly in his chest but I gave him extra dinner last night to keep his strength up and he snaffled the lot! O0

Hi Pigpog, when my Tiger was on Baytril he got a bad upset tum - do you have any probiotic you can give Rupert so that he doesn't get a tummy ache?

As the others have said he needs a probiotic or he could go downhill even more. I use 0.4ml x2 daily of Baytril, 0.1 ml isn't going to do anything I'm afraid :) Septrin is the preferred drug for URIs so I would ask your vet for that.

I think you need to discuss the dose with Vedra at CCT. You need to plus it up because of the metabolism and alter it because of the weight, but I would ask Vedra's advice on this if you're not sure.

If his chest is bad he'll need a decongestant to clear it so the antibiotics can work. I use Bisolvon and syringe it in.

Hi karen (sorry to rob the thread, just a quick question) is the bisolvon in a white and green sachet? I was given this for Ralfie's URI but havent used it yet because wnated to ask on here if it was def ok? Thanks, Sorry again PigPog x

He's still grumbly in his chest but he's eating and drinking. My vet didn't call so I'm going to call again first thing in the morning and ask them to give him a nudge. I'll ask him about the Septrin when I speak with him. I've not used it before and we've always been given Baytril for URI's which is why I've got Rupert on it now. I've never needed a probiotic so far but since you lot seem to think they're good I'll get myself some asap. :)

karenrgpr said:
I use 0.4ml x2 daily of Baytril, 0.1 ml isn't going to do anything I'm afraid :)

I started him on 0.1 based on a conversation I had with the emergency vet a few days ago for a bite wound Rupert had. It was just until I could speak with my vet in the morning but since he didn't call back I've got him on 0.2 twice a day (just for today, basically! ::)) until tomorrow morning when I'll call the vet again. I'm being cautious with the dosage because although I've used Baytril millions of times before for various things, I'm still learning and trying to gain some confidence. If I thought Rupert was bad I'd take him in for an appointment, don't worry about that! ;)

Probiotics is great for there tums love O0
I wasn't able to get any until Niki sent me some and it's made life much easier for Duke, he hasn't had the messy poo's and this is all because the probiotics stabilises the gut.
Good luck with the boy, grrrr your vet a bit slack eh :-\
Give a call real soon try to see what they can advise, you're doing well O0
More healing wheeks for Rupert coming his way :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

As you can see I'm up at 6:30am. ;D I can't sleep, so I went to see Rupert just. He's been sitting on my chest for a bit while I stroked him, and he's stopped grumbling so much in his chest and had a good purr. O0 In fact he spent most of the time he was on my chest with his nose in my ear (!) and his breathing sounds very good now - almost completely clear in fact. Nothing running from his nose either. I noticed he's also eaten most of his dinner again. He's only left the pepper which he doesn't like too much. ::) I gave him extra of the things he does like and that's all gone which is a good sign. He had a good lick of my face too which wasn't so nice for me, but he enjoyed it. ;D

It's very unusual for my vet not to call back the same day, so I hope he's alright.

Well done Rupert :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
I'd keep up the baytril till you can chat to your vet, yes i hope all is ok too :-\ :-\
Gosh you must be sooo tired :D :D :D :D

I called the hospital again and it sounds like my vet is having the week from hell. ;D The secretary says he's been dealing with emergencies. I knew there'd be a good reason for him not calling. :D

Okay, she spoke with someone else and I've been told 0.4ml Baytril once a day for a week to ten days. Since Rupes is looking and sounding better (and covering my face in pig slobber :-*), I'm happy to continue with the Baytril unless he gets worse again.

Watch this space!

Oh and thanks for all the advice guys, I feel more confident now for when I need to do this again. I'll be getting a probiotic and I've learned something new about dosages and URI's. O0 I hope I can keep improving myself.

;D ;D ;D @ pig slobber :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
ahhh great news love O0
Your poor vet, you knew there had to be a reason eh :o :o
LOL same dose as Duke, so don't forget to get some probiotics if you can it honestly does help, i've noticed a huge diff with our boy since being able to use the correct type of probiotic O0 I agree with the 7-10 days cause that's the same dosage i've been told previously also O0

You know what you'll continue to improve and be advised every day, there's always a challenge to learn and if you're learning it means your taking care of your piggie :smitten:

I know how tired you are.... just keep going you're doing a brill job, keep it up it's all worth it in the end, you'll have a well piggie and that will make you happy too :smitten:

jnenbnb said:
Hi karen (sorry to rob the thread, just a quick question) is the bisolvon in a white and green sachet? I was given this for Ralfie's URI but havent used it yet because wnated to ask on here if it was def ok? Thanks, Sorry again PigPog x

Hi, Yes. Its a product for cats and its recommended that its sprinkled on food but we know thats wrong don't we ;D It clears the congestion so that the antibiotics can work. Otherwise it can be pointless giving them sometimes ::) So I'd start using it if he's still crackly :) Putting them in a steamy room (bathroom/kitchen) can be helpful too, just keep an eye on them to make sure they're comfy :)

Hi Karen, thanks for that! Yes the vet told me to syringe a pinch in water and put him in a humid room so sounds as if he knows what he's doing :) will dig that out and have a go tonight :) x

The "little treasure" (I love that :D) has been purring away on my tummy this afternoon and I'm happy to see he's almost back to his old smelly self. O0 I'm giving him the 7-10 day course of 0.4ml Baytril as the vets advised when I called at 8am this morning, so hopefully Rupert's well on the mend. Thanks Glynis for being so supportive and being around to ask me how he is! 0:)

You're welcome love :smitten:
awwwww Rupert you clever man, now keep on taking the yukkky medicine (lol that's what Duke thinks of it) and you'll be back to your gorgeous self again :smitten: :smitten:
Oh i'm forever calling Duke names, treasure, honey pie... you name it i think i've called him it ;D ;D
Always here for a chat and to help when ever i can love O0 just even having support can help, as i know too well O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back