• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible mites?

• Thread starter Thread starter kasann
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kasann

Hi everyone. I've been lurking around here for a few days and now its time for me to post. I have 2, 8 month old boars called drake and josh. On monday drake was acting very odd (not being his usual barmy self). I put him in the run for observation but he laid flat on the floor with his head to one side. i took him straight to the vets who thoroughly examined him but couldn't say what was wrong. she gave me liquid food, antibiotics pain killer stuff. She told me to bring him inside and separate him from josh. Anyway i didn't think he'd live the night but he did and now after hand feeding and watering him, he's much better. But now i feel very bad because i have neglected josh. I've not had him out till today and i've noticed a couple of sores on his back and side and some scaley skin. I'm taking him to the vet today but I'm after some advise before i go. I've read that it could be mites. If it is mites could drake have them too and i have a rabbit (smudge) who's hutch is under the pigs and he shares the same run (at different times though). Could he get them?

Any help would be great.

Hiya,

My Sheltie is just getting over mites, when stroking him his fur felt 'lumpy' and upon further inspection I could see red patches with white bits on near his rear end. I would whizz up the vets if you think it could be mites. Cuzzy has had three injections and will have a further one injection on Tuesday, hopefully then I can re-introduce him to my other two boars Sunshine and Twinkle.

Welcome to the forum by they way!

Louise
:)

Thanks Louise. Going to take him now. Do you think i should take my other one too?

Hiya,

Well the vet would probably advise getting your other one checked over. I did with mine but thankfully Cuzzy's mites didn't spread. Let us know how you get on! :)

Louise

It does sound like mites although it could be fungal.Best to treat for both.First port of call is the vet for Ivermectin.There is no need for the pig to have the trauma of in jection anymore.Ivermectin can now be rubbed into the skin along the spine,or it can be given orally.You will need to go back to the vet for a repeat dose in 14 days.

In between the Ivermectin doses,bath the piggy in a Gorgeous Guinea shampoo,Neem and Manuka is good.You may need a melt as well.These will tackle any fungal problem and help get rid of the mites as well.If you email Chrissie

[email protected]

she will advise you which product.The shampoo/melts have instruction leaflets with them.They are very good,I use them for my piggies.

Please note:- Do not use melts/shampoo within 48 hrs of Ivermectin.

Unless your others piggies have symptoms of mites/fungus there is no need for Ivermectin but it would not hurt to bath them as well in GG.Mites are species specific and do not necessarily infect companion pigs.Some piggies are more prone to mites than others.If the problem is fungal it could spread,but the GG products will get rid of it.

Thats interesting Mary, I didn't know any of that! :) I was suprised Sunshine and Twinkle didn't have mites. I thought the injection was the norm so Cuzzy had them but now I'm armed with more info for the future I'd go for oral as he screams so loud when having it, it breaks my heart to hear that!

The reason pigs hate the Ivomec injs. so much is that the stuff really stings,it is a nasty inj.The drug applied to the skin is very affective.My vet never gives Ivo by inj.any more.

After the injection Cuzzy is always off his food and seems quieter than usual, I play it safe with just hay and dried mix as the first time he had the injection he had diaherrea!

Thanks eveyone. Just got back. Vet said it is mites and possibly a slight infection. Gave him an anti parasite injection and some antibiotics to put in his water.Need to bath him in some lotion to loosen his flakes. Going back next week to check on him. both drake and josh are to stay apart till then. Going to my caravan now so i need to pack the piggies things up to come with us. Was leaving them with my son but they need their mummy now. Will let you know how they are next week.

Kelly 88)

Hi Kelly,

Glad you got them sorted out. And great that it isn't anything that can't be sorted. It's hard seperating them Cuzzy was a bit down at first but soon picked up!

Have a nice trip!

Louise

awww glad to hear that your vet's got you sorted, you should be able to nip it in the bud. O0 O0 have a great trip, and let us know how you get on! :) :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Sorry i've not updated for a while everyone.

I noticed last week that Drake had a small scab on his back so when i took Josh for his check up, Drake came too. It turned out that he has mites though not as bad as Josh. They both had an anti mite injection and Josh had some steroids to stop his itchyness. They both have to go back tomorrow to the vets. They both look lots better though Josh is still scratching. I've tried to bath them but they hate it so much. Going to look into georgeous guineas as i think the bathing stuff the vet gave me may sting.

Kelly :)

Mr Melt

This guy only saw a vet for oral Ivermectin. Gorgeous Guineas have done the rest.
Glad yours are a bit better :)

Hi Kelly,

The advise the vet gave you about putting the antibiotic in the water is very bad.Always give meds and supplements by syringe straight into the mouth.This way you have complete control over what they have had.Meds. in water is dangerous because some pigs drink a lot and some very little.

Is there another vet in your area you could try.This one does not know much about piggies.There is no need to give steroids for the itch because the Ivermectin works very quickly,and that will stop the irritation.

Thanks Karen and mary.

There are lots of vets at the same practice Mary so i'll ask to see another. I did give Josh his last couple of doses via syringe because i was told by a different vet to do that for Drake and Josh does not drink that much some times. Some vets are just plain useless >:(

My piggies are nowhere near as bad as Mr Melt, he must have been in terrible pain. So glad he had you karen :)

just got back from the vets with my boys (saw a different one). Drake is 100% again which i'm very happy about. Josh had his third anti mite injection and i've been told to give him another five day baytrill course by mouth. He is looking much better and i've only got to take him back if i'm not happy with him. Just ordered CocoNeem Melt, Manuka & Neem Shampoo and Lavender & Myrrh Lotion for the healing from georgeous guineas. Her response to my email was rapid. ;D

I've read somewhere on here that to make baytrill taste better you can mix it with fruit juice. Would it be ok to mix it with tomato juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back