• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible Allergic Reaction?

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
IMG_3111.webp Hi, just wondering if anyone's been through anything similar with piggies or could clear some light on the very strange episode my 4year old sow Jess has had!

Thursday morn (27.07) she was absolutely fine, scoffed her veg and her normal v noisy self!
At around 12pm I came home, had bought some chunky cherries and gave her and her man half a cherry each, no stones obviously.
She has had cherries in the past, not a regular thing but she's had no problems before. She also had a bit of the new hay I'd got a little while later (premium hay from VetUK that had been delivered).

At 2pm noticed she looked very strange, the whites/linings of her eyes were popping out and was quiet, she's normally a really noisy, active lady and wasn't herself.

Managed to get into local vets, checked eyes and no inflammation to the eye, really couldn't find anything to be worried about, just the eyes that looked bizarre. Was prescribed metacam and told to keep a close eye on her.

By the evening she'd livened up, her eye linings have gone down gradually over last couple of days and she's looking completely back to normal today!

Very, very strange!
Thanks for reading! (Before and after pics!)

IMG_3047.webp

View attachment 67419 Hi, just wondering if anyone's been through anything similar with piggies or could clear some light on the very strange episode my 4year old sow Jess has had!

Thursday morn (27.07) she was absolutely fine, scoffed her veg and her normal v noisy self!
At around 12pm I came home, had bought some chunky cherries and gave her and her man half a cherry each, no stones obviously.
She has had cherries in the past, not a regular thing but she's had no problems before. She also had a bit of the new hay I'd got a little while later (premium hay from VetUK that had been delivered).

At 2pm noticed she looked very strange, the whites/linings of her eyes were popping out and was quiet, she's normally a really noisy, active lady and wasn't herself.

Managed to get into local vets, checked eyes and no inflammation to the eye, really couldn't find anything to be worried about, just the eyes that looked bizarre. Was prescribed metacam and told to keep a close eye on her.

By the evening she'd livened up, her eye linings have gone down gradually over last couple of days and she's looking completely back to normal today!

Very, very strange!
Thanks for reading! (Before and after pics!)

View attachment 67418

Stone and exotic fruits (like mango, apricots, plums, cherries etc.) are generally not recommended for guinea pigs as they can cause allergic reactions; they are more known from exotic fruit than cherries.

I would however strongly advise not to feed cherries again after your experience and stick to the fruit in our list which we know are safe to feed.
Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

Thanks for replies.

Oh god, most definitely won't be feeding again!

Think as they were on the Guinea Lynx calcium list I thought they were ok, maybe the third time I've fed them in three years so like I said, not a regular thing.

But will be staying far away from them in the future!

Back