• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Porky is in bad shape

• Thread starter Thread starter Porky
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Porky

Hello everyone. this is my second post and I couldn't find my original. My moms laptop was stolen and I haven't had internet access. But Porky had his rear molars grinded down about 2 1/2 weeks ago. He was eating soft food well but still had the slobbers. Well last Thursday he stopped drinking water and almost refused to eat anything so I took him to the same vet this saturday. They said his front incissors were a bit too long so they trimmed them. But he still hasn't gotten any better. I've been mixing his banana baby food with water and whatever else I can possibly mix with water to get him hydrated. He has been hardly eating anything and seems to still be in pain. He is really interested in food though. He hardly poops at all. I try to force feed him and he is "not having it" one bit! I just gave him a bowl of freshly squeezed oj mixed with water and he is making weird grunting noises while slowly lapping at it. He will probably eat just a little bit before he goes back in the corner of his cage and just puts his head down. I'm in the Oklahoma City area and I'm having a hard time finding a Piggy oriented vet. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
I'm so sorry to read about your little Porky :'(
He needs to get Critical Care or mushed up oxbow pellets into him quickly,
In the US there's the Guinea Lynx forum and also the Guinea Pig Daily Digest either of these if you post should be able to help you with a vet nearest to you.
I wish you all the best :)
You're doing a fab job with the juice, keep trying to get as much water in as well and also the mushed up pellets and even some baby foods, such as baby pureed apple and in the US you can get the tinned pumpkin (make sure no extra sugars etcc..) and syringe feed these as well. Also try cutting up all his fav treats into smaller pieces, even try popping a tiny bit into his mouth at a time to help him get the idea :)
Take care little Piggy try to eat your veggies and fruits :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I tried the site You've recommende but can't seem to find anything. Am I in an area where there are no experts..?

Well I took off work and brought him back to the same clinic today. A more experienced vet(which was an older male) took a look at Porky and realized his co-worker(a younger female) didn't do such a great job on Porkys rear molars. She missed quite a bit of his upper molars while he was knocked out on anesthesia. 98) But he got his hands in there and was able to clip them all down(including the front teeth again) with a simple pair of wire cutters. Now I've got him home and I've been doin ok with the syringe feeding. I found a vanilla custard based babyfood that is chock full of vitamin d, calories, protien, and fiber. I managed to feed him 30 ml's of that and about 30 ml's of watered down apple sauce. i then gave him a bath before I crushed up some pellets, and gave him a small dish of oj. He was poking around with the pellets and had a few good laps at the oj so he seems to be doing ok considering how sore his teeth probably are. This experienced vet probably saved his life cuz he looked to be on his last leg. Phewww O0

Awww bless him,glad hes eating alittle better.

Fingers crossed that he'll be ok (I'm sure he will!)

And good on you for taking him back and getting everything sorted for him.x :)

Thanks aim840! I appreciate Your confidence and so does the Porkster. This little guy is sooooo strong that its almost ridiculous! Hopefully, within the next day or 2.... He'll be attacking innocent bananas chunks like the "mad pigster" I know he is capable of being! ;D

Fingers crossed for you and your little fella.

Piggie cuddles :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

i just force-fed Porky roughly 45-50 ml of banana baby food and I chased it down with 30ml of water. I then set him back in his cage and he was begging for more food. So I squeezed some oj into a small dish,,, set it in the cage and he was having a hard time slurping it up. So I took it out and I'm about to force feed him about 25 ml of oj in about an hour. Does anybody know roughly how much food I can feed him in 1 serving. He weighs about 1 lb. I don't wanna overload his little belly. Thanks again everybody!

The little monkey has definitely gained a few ounces over the past 2 days but it's still not enough! I have been force feeding him into oblivion and must continue. He still barely poops and when he does they are very small samples. I'm doing what I can while following advice from this wonderful community. God bless You all for the knowledge thats been provided! :)

Hi ,

Do not force too much food into him at one time.It is better to feed little and often as piggies are grazers,therefore their digestive ssystems are built to deal with small amounts,often.

The same applies to the water.If Porky is not eating anything himself he will need at least 30mls per day.Try and vary the feeds to make them as near his normal food as possible.I normally give ground up dry mix for the first feed,then liquidised veggies for the second.Sometimes I mix dry mix and veggies together,and in between give some mashed banana.I do try and vary the veggies.
If I am in a hurry I use the jars of organic baby puree which you can get in supermarkets.The potato and carrot one is top favouite.

A few ounces put on over a few days is fine.Piggies can lose weight very quickly but they are much slower to put it back on.The pellets will remain small for a while.As long as he is passing a fair number of pellets this is nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back