• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly piggie....help needed

• Thread starter Thread starter Gem x
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gem x

Razzle has very suddenly gone off his food this afternoon, I've also noticed that he's lost a lot of weight :(

When I put him back in his cage earlier, he fell over then flipped onto his back with his feet in the air :-\

Within the last hour he's gone very lethargic and just wants to sit in the corner :'(

Our vet isnt on duty until tomorrow morning, is there anything I can do for him other than keep him warm?

Oh Gem, poor you! Is he old?

Def. keep him warm - but not overheated. Does he feel cold? You can tell if he's dehydrated by pinching his skin - if it doesn't go back instantly then he probably needs some fluids, you can offer him some on a teaspoon.

Anyone else here who knows more?!

If it was a dog I'd suggest Rescue Remedy but I've never used it on a pig. Fingers crossed for him, hope he's ok

Sophie

Hi, if he's lost lots of weight quite quickly, have you checked his teeth?

how old is razzle?

make sure he's warm, and somewhere quiet.. do you have any critical care? thats always good in emergencies for piggies who wont eat.

hope razzle is alright :)

Yep Critical Care is needed, you need to keep him fed and hydrated. If you have no CC then mash some pellets up and feed off a teaspoon I have found wrapping in a towel helps to keep them still and offers them some comfort.

I hope all goes well at the vets.

Louise
x

As above and yes to the Rescue Remedy :) A dab on each ear x2 daily :)

Main things are warmth, syringe/spoon feed and water by syringe/offer bottle :)

I've got my vet out of bed, he's coming over :embarassed:

Razz is at least three so not majorly old but a good age

He's still drinking from a bottle just not eating.

We think he might have had some sort of stroke :-\ as he moves relatively okay but is leaning to the right side :(

Thank you very much guys :smitten:

He was PTS this morning :(

Thank you everyone for all your help and get well wishes :smitten:

OH no :'( :'( :'(

RIP Razzle :smitten:

((((HUGS)))) to you :'(

Did the vet give you a diagnosis?

Sorry for your loss. Losing a piggie isnt nice. :'(

Oh I am so sorry, what did the vet say was wrong with him? :'(

Sorry to read this, at least you made him comfortable :) How are his friends?

karenrgpr said:
Sorry to read this, at least you made him comfortable :) How are his friends?

The two younger ones don't seem to be bothered that he's gone, Rosie looks a bit lost bless her. She's still pottering around doing piggy things and has the other two so I'm not too worried

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back