• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

poorly guinea pig PLZ HELP!

• Thread starter Thread starter !!!fd!!!
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

!!!fd!!!

movedd 2 france 6 weeks ago!
10 days ago i noticed that my 4 year old male guinea pig wasnt eating so i checked him over and discovered that hes bum looked to be swolen. i thought it may be anal impaction so looked on peter gurney's website and yes he had anal impaction. i followed his instruction and expelled the lump and understood that i may need to do it again if it dosent right itself.

i thought that after i did this he would then start 2 eat again but he didnt so i took him too the vets and thought that he may possibly need his teeth cliping as he seemed to have most of the symptoms of tooth problems eg. he couldnt rip and tear, he was interested in his food but failed to eat, he couldnt eat the peel as well as the apple from an apple slice, he picked up food but it dropped out of his mouth.i thought that the vet would need to clip his front teeth as they looked slightly longer than usual, the vet had a goodlook in his mouth an said that he would clip his front teeth but the rest of his teeth looked fine and so did his tongue. he also said that he could not see any other reason why he could not eat.

he still didnt eat so i decided 2 syringe feed him, five days later he started eating on his own but the day after he started with diorea so i started giving his half a tablet of diocam every twelve hours like peter gurney says on his website, it lasted two days and now he still isnt eating now, i am giving him vitamin C though and making sure i give him pleanty of fluids and will start feeding him again if he dosent start eating soonnnnn! he has lost quite a bit of weight

what i cant understand is why he is still acting very normal :) his eyes are bright

and anyoneeeee pleaseeeeee please helppppp me out!?! :(

I'm so very sorry to hear this. It is always terrifying when a guinea doesn't eat.

I don't have any experience with males and their problems, but lots of people on the forum will be able to help out.

Good luck

I imagine the move has shaken him up a little. Is there a time difference to and from you moving? Maybe he can't adjust?

Try grating his foods, and take him out when feeding him for a while :)

guinea pig food in france dosent seem as appertising as the stuff in england, ive finally found some that looks more less like the stuff he used 2 have back home. rattled the bag and opened it, i presume he likes it as he crawled inside the bag and started munching! lol. the onli thing is that he is still having slight dioreea which seems to be on a evening when he has eaten in the mornings but this dosent seem to bother him much, he still walks in and out of his tunnel! he is drinking enough his eyes are still as shinny as ever and he seems to have stopped loosing weight now! just hope he stops with the dioreea :)

He might also be stressing out with the move.... like the rest of the human family ?
Ummmm don't want to seem nosey but the front teeth are not always the problem, with our little man it's his molars and that seems to be a piggie problem for them all :( you need to speak to a vet or rodentologist in France i'm sure somebody can help.... i do hope so, if not do your research and get the information to your closest vet.
Good move to get the food for him and he's munching out :)
Can you get some of his food via the internet, or if not i'm sure somebody here can help you with the correct website or email to help you.
All the very best of luck try not to worry, i bet you don't listen to that but i understand, we'll be thinking of you :-*

I am so sorry you have lost Oscar.,you did all you could for him,that is all any of us can do.He would have known you were trying to help him.

oh darling you tried everything you could for him I am so sorry you lost him God bless little man, 0:) :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back