• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poorly again! ....

• Thread starter Thread starter Clover_kins
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clover_kins

Hi :)

After a short time of being fine, clover is ill again! She came off the anti-biotics and about a week later, her back end is getting soaked again.

The vet thought she had a urinary infection and had 2ml baytril once a day for a week, no improvement, so she had 1.2ml twice a day.. which seemed to hold it off. she came off it under the vets instruction, and now its happening again

She had suspected stones (had gritty urine) so she was x-rayed but it showed nothing.

Is there any tests or checks or different medication i can suggest to the vet? He used to have 30 guineas, and seems quite happy to discuss them.

Another part that i am really worried about, is actually giving her the anti-biotics. she absolutely *hates* it :'( She fights it so much. In general it has made her really jumpy when anyone goes near her :( Is there any other way i can give it to her? Do you think it would help to mix it with something, so it didn't taste so horrible?

Thanks for any help :)

Guinea Lynx recommends the best medication for UTIs to be Bactrim (also known as Septrin, ingredients trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole).

You can also syringe her plain, unsweetened cranberry juice (some health food shops sell this) which has antibacterial properties. Make sure it doesn't contain artificial sweetener.

Sorry to hear you're going thru this once again, i can really sympathise :(
It sounds weird but they can actually get used to their meds eventually it's a matter of being really patient and talking calmly the whole time so as not to stress them. Keep her wrapped up in a towel but perhaps try doing it in stages and having a little break in between and giving her treats as well that way she'll learn that its not a bad thing :)
Good luck love all the best to you both :-* :-*

daftscotslass said:
Guinea Lynx recommends the best medication for UTIs to be Bactrim (also known as Septrin, ingredients trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole).

I think you will also find she won't mind taking this either. Mr Tiggy is on it at the moment and he likes the banana flavour! Baytril tastes really nasty and bitter. You may wonder how I know this! LOL

You can mix Baytril with fruit juice to make it more acceptable too.

Doctor demanded kisses in between each mouthful of meds.
Ribena can also be used as a mixer.

It might help if you could get a urine sample and ask the vet to "dip" it with a reagent stick to see if there is blood or protein in there as this would hint that there is a current infection, though it could also indicate bladder trauma/bleeding due to stones. White cells in the urine would more or less confirm an infection.

If she does have probs with bladder stones debris, this could also predispose her to infection.

A urine sample sent for culture and sensitivity, would enable the vet to prescribe the correct anti biotic.

Good luck,
Barbara

Hi, thanks for your help everyone. i have a few things to try, and to suggest now :)

She weed a few times on the vets table (not to mention the 30 poos) and the vet dipped some kind of paper? in it at the time and he seemed to think it was ok. I'm not sure if i could get a sample.. but i will try!

I'm as nice and gentle as i can be when i give her the med, but the poor little thing will bend her neck in half just to get out of it (i wrap her in towel now, and that's still a struggle *sigh* i just hope it doesn't get her down, she's pretty old.

oh and furryfriends I can believe you know what baytril tastes like! I had a bit on my finger, so tasted it, and yuck! I knew why clover was making all the fuss, that's when i felt really bad.. so she gets a favourite treat straight after. It would be great if she could have the banana one, she loves bananas!

Clover_kins said:
oh and furryfriends I can believe you know what baytril tastes like! I had a bit on my finger, so tasted it, and yuck! I knew why clover was making all the fuss, that's when i felt really bad.. so she gets a favourite treat straight after. It would be great if she could have the banana one, she loves bananas!

My rabbit was on baytril for over six months and it became more and more of a battle to give it to him! As soon as he saw me pick up the blanket I used to wrap him in he would run! I tried using a different blanket but it didn't make any difference (he's not stupid)
On one occasion he managed to somehow flick the syringe from his mouth just as I had started to push the plunger so instead of going into his mouth it sprayed over my face. As I shouted 'no' and my mouth was open, quite a bit went in! Urgh! It really is disgusting!

Badger was on baytril after his operation and it would take both me and Ellie to give it to him. Sometimes it would even take three of us! I was scared to hold him too tightly as he had a huge wound.

I really hope Clover starts to feel better soon. See if you can get your vet to give you Septrin it really is so much easier to get them to take! xx

Hi again, just an update!

We have been to the vets and i suggested septrin. They didn't have any, so they have ordered some! I'm really glad of the advice on here, because i'm sure clover wouldn't have been able to have something like that otherwise!

The vet did say it may be kidney disease (or injury when she had an op and the vet accidently cut her kidney). It looks like this will probably be an ongoing thing!

I hope i know the right time to not let her suffer (if it does go on that long) the vet started talking about pain relief... but i'm not sure if it's fair on her if it gets to that stage :(

Thanks everyone :)

ps furryfriends That sounds horrible what happened to you, i couldn't imagine having a syringe full of baytril yeuch! lol. In my bid to get septrin, i mentioned to the vet that baytril tasted nasty....and she looked at me a little funny (i thought, maybe i shouldn't have said that lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back