• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Poo Lump Stuck on Bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

percypiglet

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, hope I'm doing this right...
I have a query.
My male guinea pig, about 8 months now, has a dark brown lumpy thing attached to his bottom. We noticed it recently and thought it was his actual bottom but it seems to have gotten bigger and drags behind him slightly when he walks and sticks out. It is dark brown in colour and might be droppings?
Should we take it off? If so, how? I tried this morning but it wouldn't come off easily and my guinea pig started squeaking a bit and trying to move away so I stopped as I don't want to hurt him.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks so much :)

If it is poop * could try cutting it off but only if it is poop for sure. my abbyruvian always walks around with poo stuck to her hair so we snip it off ha. but maybe wait for someone else with better info before jumping in with scissors. Perhaps a picture would help it could be a cyst or god knows realy!

can you take pics of it and post them? Are you sure its not the grease gland?

This is what i thought when i first read your post - have you ever cleaned his grease gland? My one boy has a very active grease gland and needs his doing every 4wks

If you could post a pic it might help us to understand/see what's going on

sparkybottom.png

does it show?
it's not a great picture, i hope you can just about make out the bump on his back end.
what is the grease gland?

thanks

Can't see to clearly, but it looks like impaction. This is where the muscles become to weak to push out the poo normally, then it is a case of a little help from a friend to extract it for him.

oh no :( so if i can get it off this time, will it continue to get worse in the future?
what do you recommend is the best way to remove it?
thanks

It looks like impaction but your piggie is a bit young for this. Can you post another picture? Or maybe let us know your approx location so a piggy bank member can help you maybe. If in doubt though, phone or see a vet.

x.

i couldnt view the pic before but i can now, it looks to me like my late pepper looked, he had the thing where his skin round his (sorry) willy was protruding like a prolapse and he would gather up debris like hay and stuff, the skin was really dark.

I would take him to a vet to have him checked to be on the safe side ;)

Here is a link to the piggy bank for an explanation of what it is. If you are worried about him, there may be a piggy bank member nearby to you (as Abi nurse suggested) that would be willing to have a quick look at him for you and either help you or advise a vet.
This can only be done though if we know what city you are near.

Dindypig... great explaining but no link included?

If you are unable to post a close up pic of the pig's problem on the forum please email the pics (as close up and in focus as possible please) to me at the rescue email - [email protected]

If you could include the part of North West London you are, it will help find you and your pig the right help.

Suzy x

Dont worry ive done it more than once i just thought i might catch you and youd have it ready :P

If you are unable to post a close up pic of the pig's problem on the forum please email the pics (as close up and in focus as possible please) to me at the rescue email - [email protected]

If you could include the part of North West London you are, it will help find you and your pig the right help.

Suzy x

As I see from your other thread where you have a new pig and can post pics can you please update this thread with a close up pic of this pig - have you been to a vet yet, is the problem resolved? There are experience members of the Piggy Bank in your area who would like to help.

Do not introduce them until a 2 week quarantine has passed on your new pig to be sure he is healthy even if he seems ok now, and the original problem has been treated and given the all clear. A pig that is not 100% healthy is should not be placed under the stress of a new cagemate as this can lead to fighting.

Suzy

Sorry for the delay and thanks for your concern,
Here are some more photos.
I'll post the first (and probably clearest photo) while I upload more to photobucket:

guineas3032.jpg

The pic shows his bottom with the lumpy thing in the centre of the picture. It feels quite hard, still unsure what it is.

Is he pooing?

I really think he needs to be seen, there's something going on here and if nothing else, he's at risk of things like infection or maybe even flystrike. I think enough time has been wasted, it's not resolving itself, please call your vet.

Please do not delay any further - this has been an obvious problem for your pig for sometime, make a vet appointment and get this poor pig seen. I am surprised that you have not already done so.

Hi percypiglet

Agree with what is said above, it might not seem like a problem to you but it almost certainly is for your piggy.

Please try and see a vet, I'm sure someone on here can recommend one if you don't know a good one local to you?

Flystrike is a revolting and potentially fatal condition whereby flies lay their eggs in poo that is stuck to a guinea pig usually at the bottom end and when the eggs hatch the maggots eat into the animal and it almost inevitably results in a horrible death. It can happen rapidly and is a concern as we're obviously in the summer now and flies are about.

Right. I will certainly take him to the vet, ASAP. Thanks for all of the helpful advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back