• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

please tell me your experiences with boar cleaning

roundpotato

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi so i just found out about boar cleaning and I'm sure a lot of people have been in the same situation. and sorry if this gets asked a lot but I'm a little grossed out and scared of boar cleaning so do you have any advice on how do i get over the fear and just think of it as helping the piggie? also i know you usually only have to clean older boars but what i want to know is does a lot of poop/smegma/sperm rods form or is it only a small amount because i saw the videos on saskia from la guinea pig rescue and i assume those are extreme cases and result of neglect and there normally is that much dirt?

please share your experiences and if you were scared at first.
thank you

Generally they keep themselves clean. Ive got a four year old boar pair and I’ve never had to do anything for them.
Impaction can occur in older boars when the muscles lose strength and they may need help them but generally it’s not a problem for younger boars

Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’ve had 9 boars over the years and I’ve never had to keep them clean. They did this themselves.

I had one older boar that needed his impaction cleaned daily. But that was quick and easy to do. He was about 6.5 when that started.

I just check them over once a week for any swelling down there or if anything looks different.

Boars are fabulous. Such characters. Post some pictures if you’d like to share.

thank you for the answers. I actually don't have any piggies yet but i am planning to get 2 boars but then i got scared of the whole boar cleaning. but your answers really encourages me to get boars ty.

but can i ask when you do the weekly health check do you just look for swelling/something looking different or do you also have to push the penis out to make sure there isn't any hair/dirt?

Make sure they're getting lots and lots of hay, and are able to exercise properly so they don't lose muscle tone down there and the majority of times you will never have to do a full on boar clean. I've had 12 boars over the years, 6 of which I currently have now, and none have needed regular boar cleans, most have needed no help at all. Some of my special needs males who have struggled with normal mobility have needed the occasional bit of help to remove small smegma build ups or clumps of hair but never a full clean.
I do have a boar, Gus, at the moment the RSPCA gave me who suffers with impaction after being starved who needs his impaction cleared periodically but this involves rolling the skin back gently to allow it to pop out, rather than inserting qtips etc up there or rummaging about.

Saskias videos show extreme cases and most boars will never need that level of assistance.

My advice on boars would be to make sure they have lots of room. Any hides should have two exits so they can’t trap each other in them. I just use boxes with two holes cut in them. Two water bottles, two bowls and scatter feed veggies in a wide area so they don’t have to share. Get them from a rescue so you will know they are well bonded. Good luck. Can’t wait to see pictures once you get them. 😍

I've had a lot of boars over the years and only one has needed the annal sack cleaned and that was only a little bit of help every 2 or 3 weeks when he was about 5 years old onwards. I currently have 5 boars, one of them does get a regular problem with a build up of dried smegma around the penis and has done since he was a baby but I can feel gently from outside if I need to take any action.

okay this makes me feel so much better, thank you.

Hi!

You may find our practical information in these two links here helpful:
Are Guinea Pigs For Me? - Wannabe Owners' Helpful Information
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides
(Our boar care guide is included in the second guide link)

Many boars only need a fortnightly or monthly check; especially adults. Teenagers are usually the messiest and about 1 in 10 boars develops impaction in older age but with some measures you can often manage it without lots of cleaning out for quite some time. While neutered boars can develop impaction, they do not longer have the stretched anal sac between the descended testicles so it is generally not a real problem. However, if you don't have access to getting hold of an already neutered boar (best paired with a sow), then you have to weigh that up against the operation risk unless you can find a vet with good experience.
But boar care is manageable and you will get used to it. Wear disposible gloves, especially at first if you feel squeamish; just as a tip!

I don't know how the situation is in Finland to get neutered boars and cross gender pairs? Or do you only have access to pet shops?
If you can only get shop or breeder babies, then spend some time and look which two are sticking together most - that way you have the best chance of ending up with a good personality match.

These guide links here help you with sourcing your guinea pigs and knowing what to look out for and with the advantages and disadvantages of various pairings:
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

We are here to answer any questions you have in our various Care sections.

thanks for the information! I haven't really looked into neutered boars. here we mainly have access to pet shops and some breeders (not a lot are that active) but i am waiting if an animal welfare association would have pigs to adopt so that i know they have been health checked and get along.

thanks for the information! I haven't really looked into neutered boars. here we mainly have access to pet shops and some breeders (not a lot are that active) but i am waiting if an animal welfare association would have pigs to adopt so that i know they have been health checked and get along.

Access to rescues/sanctuaries differ enormously from country to country.

The same goes also for vet knowledge. it is worth keeping in mind that guinea pigs are classed as exotic animals and that they hardly feature on a general vet's curriculum so finding a good vet that has knowledge of guinea pigs is not all that easy.
Guinea Lynx :: Finding a Veterinarian

Back