Please help!

Josie&Nutmeg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good morning,
I have 2 sows Josie and nutmeg. Recently I have been hearing extremely load squeaking coming from there hutch. I thought it was because they were hungry. Nutmeg is very big and takes up a lot of room, whilst Josie is small. When I put food out I have noticed that nutmeg pushes Josie out the way leaving Josie hungry. I’ve tried separate feeding and everything. Apparently my family says they can here nutmeg squeaking really loud and waking them up. She also scratches at the bars. They always give her food. I don’t really know what the squeaking means. Also I’m worried little Josie is starving as she is getting very thin. I have come up with the a solution that sort of works where Josie and nutmeg are in separate places. I’m worried, any advice would really help.

It’s fine to feed veg and pellets in separate places (it should be either scatter fed or bowls put at least one body length apart), but hay is the most important part of the diet, so she needs to be able to eat hay freely at all times.

You say she is getting thin - are you carrying out the routine weekly weight checks? That is your guide as to whether she is getting enough hay. When you have concerns such as now, you then switch to daily weight checks, stepping in with syringe feeding if she is losing weight.

You need to rule out health issues first, but if she is losing weight through not being allowed to eat enough food particularly hay given it is 80% of their daily food intake , and there are no health issues identified by a vet, then it’s possible that Josie is being bullied by Nutmeg. That sadly could mean they can no longer live together as their bond is failing

Please do see a vet first, but then the following guides may help you with further information on bond issues.

Bonds In Trouble
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

EDIT - I’ve just looked back on your previous posts and have seen that you made a similar post back in January.
Did you see a vet at that point in January to rule out health issue as per the advice we gave?
If you did see a vet and nothing has been found but the issue is continuing then bullying is a possibility.
If you have been carrying out the weight checks, then what have they shown?

One guinea pig too greedy

Last edited:
Back