Please help!

Josie&Nutmeg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Recently I made some DIY guinea pig treats! The recipe said to add some unsweetened apple sauce. Thinking it was apples sauce (I know it’s dumb) picked up mint sauce by the time I had made them and fed them I read the label it had lots of sugar, glucose, vinegar and salt. I started to panic! Is it bad! Thankfully it was only a spoonful! Have a poisoned my pigs!!

A small amount will probably won’t do any harm but do keep an eye on them and make sure they are still eating and pooping properly. See a vet if you notice any problems.

Such homemade treats are usually not healthy for piggies anyway so are best avoided and remembering anything that has been cooked or contains cooked items should not be given. A healthy treat is best to something such as fresh herbs or safe fresh or dried forages

How about a handful of grass! It's the best treat there is. My indoor pigs are squeaking up a storm right this minute as hubs has just walked in after going on a grass hunt (not easy at this time of year). They know his step, the rattle of the key in the door and the rustly rustly bag!

Just make sure you don't pick from a roadside or anywhere a dog has peed because this can make them v poorly. In the past we've targeted friends' gardens, graveyards, cattle meadows, the school veg garden (where tasty grass is a weed they don't want!) Seriously, in 10 years of pig keeping it's been the one thing everyone goes nuts for.

Back