• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

PLEASE HELP!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter rinehartt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rinehartt

I have a very sick 3.5 year old fixed male guniea pig.

He has been a fat, healthy happy pig untile recently. I have feed him guinea pig pellets, timothy hay, romaine lettuce, banana peelss and green peppers daily. and a few days a week alfalfa.

Approximately, two weeks ago I noticed he had lost some weight but was still a very healthy weight.
The next day I had to leave town for 5 days. (I had my grandmother come over to feed him and my other guniea pig while I was gone and she said they were both eating as much as usual). When I returned home I noticed the he was favoring his back left leg and had lost a tremendous amount of weight.

The next day I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with scurvy. I started the vet recommended vitamin C supplement and bought him red peppers and Parsely to increase his dietary vitamin C intake to approximtelt 50 -75 mg per day. After 3 days of this treatment he lost more weight (although his appetite was good) and got noticeably worse. He got to where he was unable to sit up and he could only lay on his side. I called two vetys and they had no reccommendations.

I search the internet for help and found Peter Gurneys site. My pig's symptoms were similar to sudden paralysis and Anaemia i.e. - He can't sit up, he is very underweight, week, and he can only lay on his side. He still wants to eat and has overall a good appetite. He occasionally shakes or has tremors and has almost no use of his back legs (he can more them - though they appear to be too week or to painful to support him).

Two days ago I started the calcium regiment of 30 mg twice a day and an iron regiment of 1 mg a day to help the paralysis and anaemia, respectively.

In addition in order to combat his weight loss I prepared a slurry of guinea pig pellets, water and a small amount of honey to supplement his diet by force feeding him (he eats the foods he likes but he isn't eating his pellets).

Now he appears to be having a seizure. We have called another vet and they reccommended putting pressure above his eyes in order to help relieve the seizure but has said if the seizure doesn't stop soon he will die.

Please can anyone give me advice.

Hi love gosh i'm sorry this has happened to you and your piggy :'(
Do a search in this area, one of our piggies on here had paralysis and then recovered O0
It sounds like you're doing everything you can :)
Keep the piggie warm and cuddle him so he's reassured i'm hoping it's a stroke and he'll recover for you :( :( :(
Unfortunately all the girls who've got the right experience are all asleep....

Where are you love?

Unfortunately, he died a couple of hours ago. His seizures wouldn't stop. Although, I'm not a 100% sure it was a seizure becuase he was able to drin l water and seemed alert. He was responding to us. I think it might has been massive muscle spasms or something like that.

If anyone has any advice as to what could have possibly been wrong, please let me know. It was pure hell watching that poor animal suffer and not being able to do anything about it.

Thanks.

Oh i'm so so sorry for you love :'( :'( :'(
RIP little guy 0:) 0:) 0:) run free at the bridge, i'm sure all the other lovely piggies will help you find the best green grass :) :)
(((((HUGS))))) for you and piggie kisses too :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

we lost our other piggie thru seizures at the end, no it's not nice at all :'( :'( :'(
I'm glad you were there to comfort him O0 :smitten:

I hope one of the mods might be able to help you understand what happened :-\

I am so so sorry for your loss :'(

Sleep tight little one 0:)

Hugs to you S xx

So sorry for your losss. Sometimes we never get to the bottom of what causes a pig to pass over. At least he is no longer suffering. x

i was just thinking maybe it could have been a stroke? but I'm not sure so dont hold me to that, I'm not great with illnesses etc

I'm really sorry for the loss of your piggy sounds like you had a really rough time with him near the end, and you tried your best. at least he is at peace now (((hugs)))

Ohhhh no :'( :'( :'(

Could it have been a stroke?

TBH I reeaally couldnt even guess? I know one fo our members sophies gp has just sadly passed (the vet said scurvy was the cause) maybe if you spoke to her, she might know a bit more? :-\

It must be so so hard for you, but at least he was a loved little piggy, and I bet he knew it :'(

RIP little man :smitten:

((((hugs to you))))

I am so sorry you have lost your piggy.It sounds like a neurological problem combined with scurvy.
Piggies need a much more varied diet than just lettuce,banana and peppers. They need green food such as pointed cabbage and spring greens.,tomato,corn etc.Also alfalfa is not very good for them.

So sorry to hear about you and your boy's battle, it's heartbreaking to see them suffer and not know what is wrong.

One of my girls passed a couple of days before xmas. She went downhill within hours and then passed.
She was still drinking and eating in the shed then I noticed her fur was starting the fluff up so I brought her in and put her on my bed. She stopped wanting to eat, drink or be stroked and started losing her balance on her back legs. She would walk along, then suddenly fall to the side and shake slightly. She could get her self up, but she was struggling. About a month and a bit before had URI and the vet said she probably wouldn't be alive long... she got better eventually but then suffered from bloat, then scurvy.
:-\

Sorry to hear about your piggy :( 0:)

Often when piggies are in the early stages of the dieing process,they can get very wobbly and shakey.This is a normal part of the body winding down process.It depends on the reason for death of course,heart attack victims will literaly just keel over.

Thank you everyone for expressing your sympathy and concerns. I really appreciate it. I'm going to really miss him. He had such a wonderful personality. I just wish I knew exactly what happened so I could try and prevent it from ever happening again.

Hi i am new here i just read you message i am so sorry what happen to him. Hold on to all the memories that you had with him & knowing that he is in a better place RIP keep your head up. :(

My eyes are tearing badly just reading the posts. I am so very sorry about what happened to your little piggy. My heart breaks for you and your little one. I love my piggy so much that I can't imagine how it must feel to lose one of your babies. I pray that you'll feel better in time. I know guineas go downhill so rapidly when they are sick. I'm sure there was nothing you could do. He was probably sick before he showed any signs. I wish you the best and hope that you will be ok through all this. We are all thinking of you. All the best to you.
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

SO sorry for your loss :(

It's heartbreaking when you you know you cant do anything about it. If he was in any pain it's all over now and he's at peace. No more suffering. I know exactly how you feel after I lost little Berri :(

Keep your chin up chick. You did the best you could (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

awww so sorry to hear that :'( MASSIVE HUGS! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back