• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

PLEASE HELP! very worried!

• Thread starter Thread starter darkpaddy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darkpaddy

So i've had my guinea pig for about 3 years now, always in good health. and about a month ago i noticed some hairloss on her right side, now its gotten much worse and her back half has ALOT of hair missing, is this something serious? or just a phase?PLEASE HELP, thanks

Vets now. She could have fungal or mites among other things. Vets ASAP. O0

shes got a vets appointment tommorow, I'm just scared shes dying :embarassed:

She won't be dying, however, she will be in great discomfort. Good luck at the vets tomorrow. O0 May I ask why you didn't get her treatment when you first spotted some hairloss? ?

I agree with what has been said. Good luck at the vets tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

i didnt get treatment right away because i thought it might just be a chalice. and can she die from mites? I'm really really worried about her

By the sounds of it she needs some aggressive veterinary treatment. Could you post a picture so we could have a better look? :)

darkpaddy said:
i didnt get treatment right away because i thought it might just be a chalice. and can she die from mites? I'm really really worried about her

If mites are left untreated the pain from scratching can lead to open sores. This often, in untreated cases, leads to seizures and death.

They are so easy to treat in the early stages i.e. when there are signs of itching and little hairloss.

Other causes, if mite treatment doesn't work, could include fungal problems or hormone issues. She MUST be treated for mites first.

I wasn't going to mention that mites could lead to death, I was reassuring darkpaddy and was going to let the vet tell them this. If they wasn't going to get treatment I would have done. :) Treating for mites straight away would be a good idea.

I'm getting pictures in a second, thanks so much for all the help everybody

Cavy Crazy said:
I wasn't going to mention that mites could lead to death, I was reassuring darkpaddy and was going to let the vet tell them this. If they wasn't going to get treatment I would have done. :)

I think it's important that people know that if left untreated, a pig can die from the symptoms of a severe mite infestation. I don't doubt that darkpaddy will get treatment at all but there's no point in hiding the fact that if NOT treated, it can lead to death. They DID ask, after all.

balding spot encircled
dcp_0208.jpg

Treat for mites, treat for fungal with a medicated shampoo, even if she hasn't got fungal as the shampoo will treat her hair and skin. Gorgeous guineas has got a medicated shampoo which is held in high regard. You will also have to disinfect her cage, equipment and anything she has come into contact with. Good luck at the vets and let us know how it goes. O0

Gorgeous guineas website:

www.gorgeousguineas.com

thanks for all the advice guys, I'm praying everything goes well tommorow :-\

darkpaddy said:
the skin is pretty crusty, but no open sores.
Savere case of mites, best bet is to get him an appointment down the vets PRONTO, looks serious! VETS VETS VETS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back