• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Please help me evaluate X-rays and diagnosis. Enlarged heart, bladder stone and possible (ovarian cysts or kidney stones)

BerriesnCream

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I went to the vet last week to have my 4 year old girl looked at. She found a couple small crystals on her vulva and an abdominal mass after palpation.
She recommended an x-ray and diagnosed her with the following after reviewing it: a bladder stone sitting in her urethra, an enlarged heart, slight bloat, and an abdominal mass that could either be an ovarian cyst with calcification or an enlarged kidney with stones in it.

Because of the slight bloat, it was hard for her to identify if the mass was an ovarian or kidney issue and recommended an mri scan that would cost almost 1,000 dollars. She said the scan could be left out for now because regardless of the diagnosis, both would be treated by watching for further enlargement and possible symptoms. For further context, my piggie has been fine and hasn’t been showing symptoms related to either possible dx.

The vet said we caught the enlarged heart before it turned into failure so she wrote a prescription for a compound med containing Coq10, tourine, vitamin E, L-Carnitine, and flaxseed oil. She said it does a good job at slowing down the progression but couldn’t give me a prognosis of any sort.

We found a bladder stone sitting in her urethra and the vet said it was likely on its way out and shouldn’t be a problem. She advised cutting back on veggies other than lettuce and making sure that she has a lot of water available. After doing research at home, I bought the Sherwood urinary support tablets and have been giving them to her.
I have noticed she’s been drinking a bit more water lately, but it’s also been getting warmer in our area. I haven’t seen her wincing or struggling while urinating. She’s been eating and moving around fine. Vet also advised I add crystallized vitamin c to their veggies to make sure they’re getting enough, so I’ve been giving them that as well. Diet wise, I feed them oxbow adult pellets (I give them a little bit less than the recommended serving size bc I heard they might encourage stones?), orchard hay from small pet select, green leaf lettuce, bell peppers of every color, and the occasional baby carrot/fruit. I've been avoiding spinach and some of the other calcium rich veggies and stopped giving them cucumber months ago because I felt it was causing slight bloat in both of them.

I’ve been driving myself crazy looking up things online and trying to make better sense of the scans and diagnoses. I’m starting medical school this summer and really want her to be around to join me and her cagemate when we move out of state. I adore the both of them. Any and all advice/opinions are welcome. I will attach the X-rays to this post. Thank you!

IMG_7569.jpg

IMG_7568.jpg
IMG_7567.jpg
IMG_7566.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry I can’t help with your questions but it’s good that the issues have been identified and are being treated by your vet. I hope she is ok and has many more happy days with you.

I’m sorry to hear this.

Regarding the pellets, what are you calling a serving size? If it is the amount stated on the packaging then it is likely to be too much. Th e recommended amount is no more than one tablespoon per pig per day.
Too much calcium and oxalate in the diet can lead to bladder stone formation. Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water - this is why pellets should be no more than one tablespoon per pig per day and drinking water ideally filtered.
A good diet with wet veggies encourages urination, flushes the bladder and promotes bladder health. She may be drinking more because it is warm but it also may be because her veggies have been cut.

I don’t believe there is any evidence that the Sherwood tablets do anything. Cranberry doesn’t lower urine ph in piggies ( have naturally alkaline urine) and nothing dissolves stones despite the claims on the packaging.

It is possible for very small stones to come out of a sow (they don’t tend to in boars as they have an angle in the urethra) but it something that needs to be kept an eye on.

Is she on any painkillers?

I hope she is ok

I’m sorry to hear this.

Regarding the pellets, what are you calling a serving size? If it is the amount stated on the packaging then it is likely to be too much. Th e recommended amount is no more than one tablespoon per pig per day.
Too much calcium and oxalate in the diet can lead to bladder stone formation. Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water - this is why pellets should be no more than one tablespoon per pig per day and drinking water ideally filtered.
A good diet with wet veggies encourages urination, flushes the bladder and promotes bladder health. She may be drinking more because it is warm but it also may be because her veggies have been cut.

I don’t believe there is any evidence that the Sherwood tablets do anything. Cranberry doesn’t lower urine ph in piggies ( have naturally alkaline urine) and nothing dissolves stones despite the claims on the packaging.

It is possible for very small stones to come out of a sow (they don’t tend to in boars as they have an angle in the urethra) but it something that needs to be kept an eye on.

Is she on any painkillers?

I hope she is ok
Thank you for your response! For the pellets, I give 1/8 of a cup once a day for both of them to share. That’s about 2 tablespoons for each of them. I will definitely cut it down to one. We have a filter on our tap in the kitchen and I make sure they only get water from there. I had a feeling that all the sherwood reviews were too good to be true :/ thanks for sharing that.
My vet said to cut back on bell pepper because it might be what’s causing her to bloat, but she also said that it could be related to her heart issues as well. I used to give them each 1/4 of a bell pepper (think 2 medium sized wedges), a leaf of red or green leaf lettuce, and then either a baby carrot, a bit of fruit, a sprig of cilantro, or a bit more lettuce. I give them one less wedge of bell pepper now. What do you recommend to help with her bladder while keeping bloat at bay?
The vet said that I should monitor her and give them a call for a metacam prescription if she starts to show signs of pain. I also have an appointment scheduled two months out so she can get scanned again and I can get her heart medication refilled.
I’m not sure what to make of the abdominal mass, but she seemed fine when the vet was palpating and showing me how to monitor the size at home. Hopefully that means whatever it is isn’t painful?

If an 1/8 of a cup is two tablespoon then that is fine - they can have a tablespoon each per day.
We see a lot of people following the packaging advice without realising it’s usually too much.

Generally speaking brassicas are the thing which most likely to cause bloat but it doesn’t mean to say some piggies arent more sensitive to some other veggies. The general feeding advise is that lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper and cilantro is fine to give daily but if one of your piggies is sensitive to something then you need to be mindful of that.

It sounds as if you are doing the things we would recommend.
The key thing you can do at home to monitor her is to ensure you are keeping up with her routine weight checks, and switching them to daily checks while there are health issues. That will tell you whether she is eating less hay and that can be as a result of discomfort

Welcome to the forum, it's lovely that you are doing so much to take care of your little lady. We would love to see pictures of both your piggies.
I am slave to two boars, Dignified Sir George and his boisterous companion Mischievous Master Boris, collectively known as The Beastie Boys.

Welcome to the forum
I’m sorry I can’t offer any help but just wanted to welcome you and offer support

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry that the news from your vet visit hasn't been great. Since the bloating is obviously secondary (cause by pressure on the gut, any pain radiating into is or from the heart failure, you can continue feeding normally because the gut microbiome is not derailed (dysbiosis). Thankfully for you, symptoms seem to be so far still on the milder side.

Please accept that we are an owners forum that offers practical and moral support during any illness and veterinary treatment but that we are not a medical forum; none of us is a vet or can replace them. And none of us trained to interpret an x-ray.

I support the care advice that @Piggies&buns has given you.

Back