Please help, intricate question involving behavior, keeping my guinea(s), and partial health...

Tallyn

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Okay... So this is going to be long, but please help. I'm utterly lost.

3 1/2 weeks - a month ago I purchased 2 Guinea pigs from Petco, along with an abundance of everything they need ect. The two pigs I purchased were cage mates in the store, and they cane in together. They are of similar color, which keaves me to believe there's potential that they came from the same litter. (However, I do not know this for a fact).They are both females named Nala & Nea. Nala being a larger (seemingly more dominant) guinea, and Nea being a smaller (seemingly more dependant) guinea.

During the first week, we brought them home and they behavior seemed fine and in alignment with all the resesrch we had done. Nala (the larger) seemed content and independent. While Nea the smaller seemed to almost follow Nala around. Get extremely close to her, and squeek quite a bit if Nala was taken out of the cage before her. At the end of that first week, while they were in thier play pen for out of cage time, I noticed the one smaller guinea (Nea) laying down almost looking like she was sleeping. After observing this for a short period of time l, I grabbed her and she didn't run. Mind you, Nea, the smaller guinea would ALWAYS run when picking her up. Which I assume was normal as she was so new to the enviornment. The fact that she didnt, I immediately knew something was wrong. Upon further examination she was lathargic and seemed to almost be shivering. When I purchased the guinea pair, I was told by Petco that if there was an issue we could bring her back to be examined by their vets. Knowing that information after seeing that concerning behavior we rushed her back to Petco.

Petco took her back (returned) her, but took our information so we could keep in contact and try to fascilitate getting her back when healthy.

They brought her to an exotic animal hospital (one with great reviews in our area). They seen her, put her on multiple medications and gave her back to Petco for care. The 'diagnosis', if you could call it one was that they thought she had a potential bite on her neck and might have had a reaction. However, they didnt seem sure. Keep in mind I was recieveing this information from Petco so its somewhat like a game of telephone as the vet will not speak to me directly. This appointment I just mentioned was 3 days after we dropped her off. (We were concerned with them waiting that long, however we were assured that was the soonest she could be seen).

Fast forward one week, to when we were told she had a follow up. We were told she was doing slightly better, eating and drinking somewhat normally, but still showing signs of needing to heal and that the mark on her neck was not healed. We were told she needed to finish her medicine in which there was about a week or so left. They told us they would continue to administer the medicine and when the bottle was gone, she would have a follow up and hopefully we could take her back.

Fast forward another week to today. (01/13/23). I called again they told me that she has another follow up in two weeks and they need to keep her until then. They reiterated that they think that the 'cause' was a bite to the neck. They said the vet wants to make sure her neck heals and she goes back to 100% normal and the injury does not become an absess. Now keep in mind, while this has all happened the guinea pigs have been apart for nearly three weeks to this point. During this time, Nala (the larger uninjured) guinea. Has continued to seem healthy, eating and drinking just fine. She acts 'normal', however we are not sure if she is 'bored', or 'lonely'. As we dont exactly know what bored or lonely looks like. She has plenty of toys, but doesn't really play with them. She has become much more comfortable with us, and does not run when we go to pick her up, or squeek in panic ect. She moves around her cage, but doesn't 'run around' very much. She sleeps out in the open occassionally now in which she didnt before. However, I dont know exactly how normal all of that behavior is as I dont have a guinea care history to compare it to. She definitely seems fine though.

Now, with all of this said. I have multiple concerns. Everything I have read mentions guineas should be kept in two. Well, my one guinea has been alone for roughly three weeks now. She wont have an opportunity to be reuinited with the other for at least another two weeks. Petco had told me on the last call of we get her back they recommend them being seperated. Which also concerns me because that would essentially mean theybwere aingle guineas.

I am also concerned because they still seem to think the cause was a bite. So now I wonder if Nala my larger healthy guinea is aggressive. And how that would react if they were reunited or if we got a different guinea for her to have a cage mate.

Can guinea's be kept singlely? I hear about loneliness and how that can actually be a cause of death! I dont really know what to do. If I got another guinea that isnt Nea, I am concerned that if Nala was already potentially aggressive with Nea, how she would act with a guinea she is kess familiar with that didnt come into the shop together.

Is keeping Nala by herself worrisome because of lonliness? Does anyone have experience with single pigs? I honestly have no idea what to do here. So any advice or context would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

I’m sorry to hear that Nea is still away. With regards to a neck bite, it’s hard to decide whether that was the cause or it was something else. Did you see any aggressive behaviour between Nala and Nea? The injury could have happened before or after you took her home but unfortunately there isn’t really any way of knowing.

You are right that guinea pigs aren’t wired to live alone. Hopefully a rebond will be okay once Nea is home. This will have to be done on neutral territory where neither have been. Just a play pen with no hides. Only a pile of hay in the middle and their veg. You then leave them in there for a few hours and see how they get on.

You could find Nala another friend. However, the potential problem with this would be if Nea doesn’t get along with them. You’d then have to house her separately but alongside the pair. Although not ideal, living as neighbours is the next best thing to living together. If their cages are next to each other, they can still have the interaction they need through the bars.

Piggies don’t play with toys. Hence why Nala is not doing anything with the toys that you put in for her.

I don’t know what your rights are with regards Nea. I would speak to them and see if you could administer the care at home and take her in for her review. But it may be that’s not how it works and is something written into their policy.

Good luck and I hope that Nala and Nea are reunited sooner rather than later. Hopefully someone who may know more will see your post later and give a more thorough answer.

Hi and welcome

I am ever so sorry about your problems! What a nightmare!
Firstly - The sow behaviour you report is very much in the milder range of settling in dominance; nipping is a very normal dominance behaviour and it is a very carefully judged gesture of power, just letting the other piggy feel the teeth but without breaking the skin. Accidental injuries from misjudged nipping are always some shallow slashes at the very worst if the under-piggy is moving in the wrong direction at the wrong time. You are not reporting anything that would point towards a real rift. The other sticky point is that the sow equivalent of a serious boar fight means ripping out a mouthful hair in painful way. Sows are wired to live together in a group, not to fight with potential rivals.

If it was really a deep bite (which I have some doubts about), it can only have been the instinctive split-second defence bite of a guinea pig very much on edge, reacting to sudden movement and or seeing no other way out when trapped in a hut or a corner by a stronger piggy. In this case you can usually spot four deep needle-like wounds when you look very closely, always two the right next to each other and the other two a little apart due to the mouth being opened fairly wide for four incisor teeth to penetrate deeper.

What baffles me is that the wound and whatever has caused it. Was it fresh and still bleeing when you found Nea somewhat shocky or could it have just been reopened by scratching or by biting herself and actually have happened before you bought her? An existing scabbed over wound that is not healing is usually causing some major discomfort and can result in self-biting if it is in reach of the mouth or the scab can be ripped off by vigorous scratching.
If the wound is not showing any signs of healing, then that is rather worrying because the usually very quick healing process starts within 2 days and a full operation scar takes only 10-14 days to fully knit again in adult guinea pigs; this process is noticeably quicker the younger a guinea pig is. Infection/abscesses manifest around 10 days later in my own experience. I suspect something else underlying could be going on but as I know only what you have told us, I cannot even speculate.
Unfortunately, you have divested yourself of your customer rights when you signed Nea back to the shop whose property she currently is again. It is a nasty practice to prevent customers from exerting their legal rights and to protect them from legal suits in the case of a death. :(

If it really was a full-on defence bite, then you may find that the two piggies won't want to be with each other anymore unless both see what has happened as an accident and still want to be together when the chips are down. In the other case, they will be very happy to be back again but you have to brace for more group re-restablishing dominance behaviour in the weeks after. Piggies have a much better memory than most people assume.
However, you will only ever find out if the two meet on neutral ground outside the cage when Nea comes home; never just put her back in the cage with Nala. That would be a potential recipe for disaster if something really has happened between them. Please have a plan B at the ready in case they don't go back with each other. How big is your cage in the first place (please use centimeters or feet, not inches; we are a UK based forum with an international membership and generally use those measurements).

Nala is currently not dealing well with being on her own. At her young age (she is still pre-teenage), she is desperate for company of her own kind. Whatever has happened, I can assure you was not planned and it was definitely not aggression in the way you think of. It was rather a very unfortunate accidental incident. Unfortunately, as long as you do not know what is happening with Nea and have no control over it, you cannot yet make any firm plans. At the worst, the two girls can live in adjoining cages or a large cage with a divider that leave each girl a minimal singles space of 2x4 ft or 2x3 C&C grids.

Please take the time to read these guide links here to make more sense of what has happened and which behaviours you have noticed were normal ones. It will hopefully help you bring you a modicum of peace of mind and allay some of your confusion and concerns:
- " Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)
- Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts) (This link includes typical sow dominance behaviour during the settling period in the first few weeks while they establish a hierarchical group in new territory - this happens with any change to the personnel or to the territory in a bonded pair/group and irrespective of whether the piggies were previously living together or not.)
- Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs (this guide will take you through all dominance behaviours you would normally see in the build up to a normal fight, just so you can reassure yourself that this is not what has happened)

These links here may help you with Nala:
- Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities (singles in different situations, various companionship solutions and how to spot when a single is struggling and when/in which way they are transferring their companionship needs onto you)
- Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
Testing for the validity of the bond (ideally at first with a separator in between them so if they teeth chatter at each other through the bars or show other hostile behaviour, then you know that any bonding attempt won't work out and can proceed to plan B straight away.)

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed that Nea will come back to you.

Last edited:
Back