please help! bonding question

brookeh2662

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 2 guinea pigs - 1 is a little over a year old and the other is 4 months old (both girls). They have been bonded now since the beginning of November. Last week, I walked into my room and my cage was a complete mess and the girls were non-stop making whining noises, intensely loud teeth chattering, and hair raised on the back of their necks. I let them be for a few minutes but then they lunged at each other twice. Nothing like this has ever happened with them before. They’ve done the typical rumble strutting and nose-butting but it escalated to a point that I’d never seen between them before. After about 15 minutes with that behavior still not cooling down, I separated the cage in half (I have a 2x6 C&C cage) because it was late at night and I did not want to have to worry while I was trying to sleep. This was 3 days ago and I’ve still had no luck with them together. I’ve tried putting them in another C&C cage I built on neutral territory and after a few minutes the same extremely loud teeth chattering happened and the younger one was very depressed trying to hide under the water bottle and standing on the sides of the cage trying to get out. I’m assuming this is all being initiated by the older one but I don’t see what could’ve happened between them so quickly. I have a vet appointment scheduled for them on Tuesday but really would appreciate some advice in the meantime. Thank you all so much!

I’m sorry to hear that

The guide below explains how to spot a dysfunctional bond. See if the information in there matches what you are seeing from their behaviour.
If it does and they refuse to go back together, then it is possible they sadly will need to stay separated.

It’s a good idea have a medical issue ruled out with the vet as sometimes a brewing illness can cause them to become snippy with each other.

It’s also a good idea to increase the weight checks. Routine weight checks should be once a week but it can be done daily if you are worried there might be a medical issue or if there is a bond issue. (Not eating enough when together and then being able to eat more once separated can be a sign that bullying was occurring)

Bonds In Trouble

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

I’m sorry to hear that

The guide below explains how to spot a dysfunctional bond. See if the information in there matches what you are seeing from their behaviour.
If it does and they refuse to go back together, then it is possible they sadly will need to stay separated.

It’s a good idea have a medical issue ruled out with the vet as sometimes a brewing illness can cause them to become snippy with each other.

It’s also a good idea to increase the weight checks. Routine weight checks should be once a week but it can be done daily if you are worried there might be a medical issue or if there is a bond issue. (Not eating enough when together and then being able to eat more once separated can be a sign that bullying was occurring)

Bonds In Trouble

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Thank you for this! If I attempt to put them back together, should I start again in a neutral territory or should I just take down the barrier in my cage that they’ve always shared? I’m hoping the vet gives me some answers Tuesday. Do you happen to know if the younger one will still be as happy as she would if she had someone if they lived side by side? Is living next to each other the same as having someone? She’s so upset without her and it sucks to watch her have to deal with this. Thank you again :)

Thank you for this! If I attempt to put them back together, should I start again in a neutral territory or should I just take down the barrier in my cage that they’ve always shared? I’m hoping the vet gives me some answers Tuesday. Do you happen to know if the younger one will still be as happy as she would if she had someone if they lived side by side? Is living next to each other the same as having someone? She’s so upset without her and it sucks to watch her have to deal with this. Thank you again :)

Always neutral territory. If you just take down the divider it could be seen as a territory invasion and spark a fight.

The vet is only gong to be about to rule in or out a medical issue. They won’t be able to help with an incompatibility and failing bond.

Living side by side is the next best thing if they can’t share a territory.
Two of my boys had a fight and have lived side by side for over a year now.

Thank you so much! I’m hoping I get some answers Tuesday. My sister said they may suggest neutering. I may do that because I really want them to be together. I wonder if it’ll make a huge difference with the aggression?

Spaying girls is a massive operation and only done if there is a specific medical need to do so ie they have ovarian cysts or a problem with their uterus.
The only time spaying may help is if one does have ovarian cysts. They can cause a strain in a bond due to hormones but cysts don’t usually start until a minimum of two years of age. Your piggies aren’t old enough for cysts to be an issue.

If your piggies are not compatible and don’t like each other then that is the end of their relationship. Neutering isn’t going to make them like each other, it won’t change their behaviour towards each other. No vet knowledgeable on piggy behaviour would suggest spaying them just to try to make them get on.

Back