Plastic

• Thread starter Thread starter curiousorange
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

curiousorange

Hello!

Sorry if this has been brought up before in this forum, or if everyone is already aware, but I need to spread this message amongst Guinea Pig owners. Please avoid using little plastic "Pigloos" or any plastic in your Guinea Pig's living quarters! They eat the plastic and it can do some terrible damage internally to their gut. I am speaking from a horrible personal experience. It can not be good for small animals to ingest sharp plastic. If you have any plastic in their cage, please remove it immediately! Use Fiddlestix or card board tubes instead.

Thanks!

Love Gem.x

My pigs have never chewed any plastic. They only have their houses that are plastic anythough. Couldn't them chewing anything they shouldn't really be, be bad though? I'm not saying your wrong or anything, I'm just curious ;)

Hello! Yes, I had a little sow who chewed on her plastic pigloo. She had an internal hemorage (sp?) and bled from the back passage. The other guinea pigs in with her cut themselves when they ran past the plastic, because the edges had become sharp and jagged where she ad chewed on it. Unfortunately, my little sow died 2 days later, partly because the vet did not have a clue. Please believe me when I say that guinea pigs chewing and eating plastic is a very bad idea. Please use little wood or cardboard hidey holes for them instead.

Love Gem.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back