Plastic storage hay box help

aly13

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all hope youre well! My girls currently have litter trays which I pile their hay for them in. However my two newest girls looove to bury in the hay, which made me think maybe I could create a box like this I found online. The OP didnt go into detail on how they made the holes, and I am veeery not DIY minded, we dont even have a drill anymore. I would keep the lid off now of course but was also thinking in winter if i put it on it would be cosier for them? Dont want to suffocate them though 😅

Has anyone done anything like this? Or would have an idea of how to? I know I would need to buy some circular saw type drill bits and an actual drill I think?Screenshot_20230617_200132_com.pinterest_edit_60659121636576.webp

I use a bin just like this, it works great as a litter box, I just cut one of the sides off so that they could walk in and out whenever they want to. It is probably only 8 inches tall, but mine are still perfectly able to bury themselves in the hay. Yours looks really good. My only concern would be if holes are too small for them to get in and out, or if the edges are sharp. Looks really cute though!

I use a kitty litter box that I cut one side out and my piggies like to run in and out of the box. I can put a nice pile in the litter box and they will stay buried in there for most of the day. I can mound the hay up pretty high in the kitty litter box for them.

I use a bin just like this, it works great as a litter box, I just cut one of the sides off so that they could walk in and out whenever they want to. It is probably only 8 inches tall, but mine are still perfectly able to bury themselves in the hay. Yours looks really good. My only concern would be if holes are too small for them to get in and out, or if the edges are sharp. Looks really cute though!
If holes too small, ! Piggies wILL sort it out,lol

I haven't made anything like this but I think you may need a jig saw to create the holes, I don't really know. I would ask in a DIY shop or see if there is a guide on YouTube about cutting out holes. Looks like the one in the picture has stuck tape around the holes to cover the sharp edges too.
I wouldn't use it at all in hot weather tho as it will get very hot inside and I wouldn't put the lid on even in winter because it would trap in dampness and prevent the air from circulating.
I am sure you will be able to create something great for them.

I haven't made anything like this but I think you may need a jig saw to create the holes, I don't really know. I would ask in a DIY shop or see if there is a guide on YouTube about cutting out holes. Looks like the one in the picture has stuck tape around the holes to cover the sharp edges too.
I wouldn't use it at all in hot weather tho as it will get very hot inside and I wouldn't put the lid on even in winter because it would trap in dampness and prevent the air from circulating.
I am sure you will be able to create something great for them.
That is true, hadnt thought about the damp. Thank you!

What did you use to cut the side off?

I used to use one like this. My partner drilled holes round the area to be cut and then used a hacksaw to join them up and make a door Use sand paper to smooth off the edges.
I lined the bottom with newspaper to absorb the urine and make it easy to clean out as you just roll the hay up in the paper.
I never had a problem with damp at any time of the year (my piggies are in doors), as long as you clean out daily there shouldn't be any mould. Using a lid may possibly cause condensation in the box but the contents in mine never got damp enough for that and I didn't use a lid.
I just have piles of hay in the cages now except for Brillo who likes a cardboard box with a door cut in it.

Back