plastic sheeting for warmth in the day

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
hiya everyone! been advised to get some plastic sheeting to put over the run on cold days to ensure my girls get the light but still keep warm. is this suitable to use and if so, what thickness should i go for?

Attachments

• D9987DDF-208B-47F2-922A-0D9941355EEA.webp
    D9987DDF-208B-47F2-922A-0D9941355EEA.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 5
Please dont overthink this! You dont have to worry about thickness etc. It's just so help keep the warm air from transferring out too quickly - its just to replace a hutch cover given there isnt one for your hutch/run combo

Please dont overthink this! You dont have to worry about thickness etc. It's just so help keep the warm air from transferring out too quickly - its just to replace a hutch cover given there isnt one for your hutch/run combo

sorry, i just want everything to be perfect! so the thinner one should be okay?

Dont be sorry, I'm just worried that you are stressing yourself out!

A thin layer is fine, put blankets over the run and then the plastic on top and it will work to help hold warmth in

i am one big ball of stress! in every aspect of my life😅

so would you suggest blankets and sheet in the day when its 10-15 degrees or will the sheet be enough? i wanted to keep the warmth in but also have natural light available! obviously if it gets really cold ill put the blankets over but on a day like today where it was mainly 13 degrees will the sheet be ample?

i am one big ball of stress! in every aspect of my life😅

so would you suggest blankets and sheet in the day when its 10-15 degrees or will the sheet be enough? i wanted to keep the warmth in but also have natural light available! obviously if it gets really cold ill put the blankets over but on a day like today where it was mainly 13 degrees will the sheet be ample?

If there is a chilly draught then it might be wise to put a sheet over just so any draughts are stopped

It depends on your shed though.
On a 10-15 degree day in my shed, at this time of year, I don’t use any covers and my boys just free roam the shed floor at will, as my shed will still be around 15-20 degrees.
If it was actually 13 degrees in my shed (for that to happen it would have to be around 6 degrees outside), then during the day I’d still not put covers on but would keep the door shut so no draught is getting in, and they would still free roam the shed

Last edited:
If there is a chilly draught then it might be wise to put a sheet over just so any draughts are stopped

It depends on your shed though.
On a 10-15 degree day in my shed, at this time of year, I don’t use any covers and my boys just free roam the shed floor at will, as my shed will still be around 15-20 degrees.
If it was actually 13 degrees in my shed (for that to happen it would have to be around 6 degrees outside), then during the day I’d still not put covers on but would keep the door shut so no draught is getting in, and they would still free roam the shed

okay thanks so much, hoping to get it insulated soon so hopefully that will help with keeping it warm.

Back