Planning for the future...

Helen82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello - I've not been round here in a while but was wondering if anybody had any experience/advice/views on the following. I have two guinea pigs: Primrose (age approx 6 and three quarters) and Stanley (age approx 4 and a half). Primrose has had health issues rear up this last week which is making me confront the fact that she isn't getting any younger... Obviously I want her to be around for as long as possible if she has a good quality of life, but I've been thinking what I would do if Stanley was to become a lone piggie. This isn't something I'm planning on doing at the moment, but I was wondering whether instead of waiting until Stanley is on his own, if it might be a better idea to get a new pig(s) (possibly two young sows) whilst Primrose is still with us. On the one hand it could all go horribly wrong if they didn't like each other and/or for Primrose it might be too much stress and bother for an old lady to deal with. On the other hand it might give her some new company and interest, and also more ladies for Stanley could give Primrose a bit of a rest from being the 100% focus of Stanley's attention. They currently live in a 2x6 grids C&C cage (with a little bit of extra space on the side) which is pretty much the biggest cage size I can fit in.

Hi

It is great that you are thinking ahead. In my own experience it is always easier to have company in place to bolster a loss rather than looking around in the wake of one. I always try to avoid ending up with singles if possible (sadly not always).

You can look around but please be aware that any decent rescues won't rehome guinea pigs this month or at least over the holidays to not add to the annual Christmas toy pet misery. Your timing is not the best. You could however ask whether you could go on a waiting list with rescues within your reach for sub-adult sows that cannot challenge an older and frailer sow and see whether you can rescue date? Sows are still very much in demand; the problem is with all the unwanted boars.

Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

Hi

It is great that you are thinking ahead. In my own experience it is always easier to have company in place to bolster a loss rather than looking around in the wake of one. I always try to avoid ending up with singles if possible (sadly not always).

You can look around but please be aware that any decent rescues won't rehome guinea pigs this month or at least over the holidays to not add to the annual Christmas toy pet misery. Your timing is not the best. You could however ask whether you could go on a waiting list with rescues within your reach for sub-adult sows that cannot challenge an older and frailer sow.

Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Thanks for your reply and information. It isn't something I'd be acting on until the New Year anyway, but this has given me some pointers on how to proceed.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with succession planning. It’s the sign of a good and caring owner. And if you can establish the bonds before you lose one, it’s always very helpful to the survivors to cope with the loss.

I’ve always tried to do it myself, but sometimes it doesn’t work out that way. This year I had a situation that I couldn’t have planned for. Hazel came as company for Ralph since Holly was elderly and ailing to make sure he would have company when Holly passed. But I lost Ralphie suddenly and unexpectedly and then within days lost Holly, too, so Hazel was then on her own! Fortunately my other herd then accepted her.

It would be a good idea to start approaching rescues in the new year to let them know your set up and what you are looking for. That way you can become approved ahead of time, and in the list waiting list so they will contact you first when any sow(s) come in.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with succession planning. It’s the sign of a good and caring owner. And if you can establish the bonds before you lose one, it’s always very helpful to the survivors to cope with the loss.

I’ve always tried to do it myself, but sometimes it doesn’t work out that way. This year I had a situation that I couldn’t have planned for. Hazel came as company for Ralph since Holly was elderly and ailing to make sure he would have company when Holly passed. But I lost Ralphie suddenly and unexpectedly and then within days lost Holly, too, so Hazel was then on her own! Fortunately my other herd then accepted her.

It would be a good idea to start approaching rescues in the new year to let them know your set up and what you are looking for. That way you can become approved ahead of time, and in the list waiting list so they will contact you first when any sow(s) come in.
Sorry for your losses and glad that Hazel was accepted. Thanks for your insights; this is all helping me form a more solid plan.

This is what I am doing too.
Like you I have and ageing sow with a younger boar.
I’ve chatted to a rescue about possibilities for succession planning.
You are quite right thinking about it now before you find yourself dealing with loss and a more urgent need for a companion.

Depending on how easy it is for you to travel there’s Cavy Corner in Doncaster and The Potteries GP rescue in Kidsgrove

Back