plain pellets or mixed food?

moosepistachiooreo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am currently feeding my guinea pigs Natural behaviors grain free guinea pig food, but I have been researching recently and I am wondering if plain pellets are a better option.

I have stopped giving my guinea pigs pellets daily, they only get them as treats for doing tricks. Unlimited timothy hay and fresh veggies is perfect. I see that the second ingredient is alfalfa hay, that does raise my concern for extra calcium that they don’t need. They can get all the vitamins and minerals that they need from a well balanced diet. As for pellets, I used Oxbow Garden Select and it’s fine for pellets, I find the ingredients are less of fillers and more actual hay. I have never used Natural Behaviors, but it just looks like pellets and forage. It might be healthier to buy pellets and the meadow hay.

I have stopped giving my guinea pigs pellets daily, they only get them as treats for doing tricks. Unlimited timothy hay and fresh veggies is perfect. I see that the second ingredient is alfalfa hay, that does raise my concern for extra calcium that they don’t need. They can get all the vitamins and minerals that they need from a well balanced diet. As for pellets, I used Oxbow Garden Select and it’s fine for pellets, I find the ingredients are less of fillers and more actual hay. I have never used Natural Behaviors, but it just looks like pellets and forage. It might be healthier to buy pellets and the meadow hay.
Okay thank you so much!

The mix you mention does not appear to be a muesli mix (muesli mixes should not be fed. contain ingredients which are not usually good for them and they cause selective feeding) so actually is ok(ish). However the fact it does contain alfalfa would be a reason not to use it. The peaflakes it contains should also not be fed very often - they are fine as a treat.

Pellets Or Muesli / Dry Mix?

Back