Pigs Starting To Smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAC piggies :)

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi, i wondered if you can help , a month ago my pigs just decided to lie in where they wee and poo, what can i use to get rid of the smell, how big does the bath have to be and do i add a towel to stop them from slipping ? and do i put them in together when i bathe them

If you type in how to bathe your Guinea pig on YouTube there are some great step to step guides x

I would wipe them over with small animal wipes. What are they bedded on?

they are bedded on hay and ok can i get those from tesco or would it be a pet store, this is the first time they have ever smelled . i shall youtube that later

I used to use these ones,

Have you thought about changing their bedding? I would switch to vet bed if they are lying in their wee as it stays dry. I get mine from dogsproductsdirect.

first they were on sawdust and changed that quickly due to there respiratory system then i put them on newspaper for the base and put hay as the top layer . my partner mentioned vet bed its just trying to find affordable vet bed. thank you for the link to the wipes i shall invest in those this week , thank you so much

Vet bed from that site is very fairly priced. My cage is 8 by 3 and it's £36 to cover it.

oh thats great, did you get 2 so that when 1 was washing you could replace it with the other one ?

Piggies love to eat and poop in the same place, so I use a corner unit, plastic toilet Area, next to food and put hay in it...it's amazing how much they use it.

Piggies love to eat and poop in the same place, so I use a corner unit, plastic toilet Area, next to food and put hay in it...it's amazing how much they use it.

oh ok thank you i didnt know that , i thought they slept and ate in the same place then pooed at the other end but obviously not :)

I think they love the size of it, they feel slightly enclosed with it having a lip on it. I put some base bedding in the bottom then hay and food bowl next to it. I even found one of my girls had fallen asleep in it, with a cage you can raise it slightly as well by attaching to the bars.

I have litter trays with newspaper then finacard as substrate then their hay.Works great for me as the finacard stays pretty dry.I change these every couple of days.My main part of the cage is incontinence pads then fleece.The other end where their hideys arebhave towel then fleece that gets changed every couple of days if needed.The wee goes straight through the fleece into the towels and incontinence pads so they are never sitting in wet.They often sleep in the litter trays and I never have a problem with my piggies smelling .Even my long haired piggies stay pretty clean.There are different kinds of substrate you can use.I think there is a thread with bedding reviews on.Newspaper doesn't keep the wet off them.Fleece may be an option while you save for vetbed or just try another substrate.Newspaper doesn't work very well at keeping them dry

@piggyfan, I have looked at that website añd think I am going to order some vet bed. Do you buy the non slip backing one of the green backed one and would you say the medium or heavy duty. Thank you.

@piggyfan, I have looked at that website añd think I am going to order some vet bed. Do you buy the non slip backing one of the green backed one and would you say the medium or heavy duty. Thank you.
I buy the green backed heavy duty one. They have lovely colours.

I use fleece and LOVE it. I only change it once a week. I sweep and spot clean daily. I never smell anything at all on them or in their home.

Fleece is much cheaper and you can pick all kinds of designs. I have pee pads on the very bottom, then either two layers of towels or a mattress pad. I have a 2x5 cage and a twin size fits almost perfect, it's a little big but not to bad.

My piggies used to refuse to pee or poo in a lite box and only would do it in there pigaloos or even sometimes right in their food dish but luckily they grabbed a brain and now pretty much always use the liter box.
My liter box is a big plastic bin and I just cut a whole in the side and put liter all over the bottom and now they love to use it and mostly go in it.

Now then, the bottom part of the piggies cage is 5 by 2 c&c and I was thrilled that I could cover the base in one piece of vetbed but now I have a problem of fitting it in my washing machine! It doesn't seem to fit and I dont really want to cut it in half. Any suggestions?

Now then, the bottom part of the piggies cage is 5 by 2 c&c and I was thrilled that I could cover the base in one piece of vetbed but now I have a problem of fitting it in my washing machine! It doesn't seem to fit and I dont really want to cut it in half. Any suggestions?
I have to cut my vet bed to make it fit in the washing machine. I cannot think what else you could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back