Pigs new home location

Aripined

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m moving from Arizona to California and I will be in an apartment for a year. My two Guinea pigs will come with me but I can’t keep them in the apartment but instead the storage room I don’t want to but my mom said there’s no room for them inside. I need some tips to keep the storage room nice and safe for them when they live in there for awhile. They will have two cages their main one and a smaller one if it gets too hot inside the storage room they can be inside for a little. I’m very nervous about them being in there but I don’t want sell my girls.

It would be helpful if you could tell us more about the storage room?
Is it actually part of the apartment?
Does it have windows?
What temperature is it likely to be?

It would be helpful if you could tell us more about the storage room?
Is it actually part of the apartment?
Does it have windows?
What temperature is it likely to be?
It is part of the apartment it’s located outside it doesn’t have windows which I am worried about ventilation, it might have a vent. I haven’t looked at the apartment since my mom barley got it while I was in Arizona so I haven’t looked at it. My guess is it would be warm since there no windows and it’s just dark inside and if it was winter time it would get cold and it does get pretty cold in California since we are not that far from the beach.

The concerns would be lack of light, heat, cold, (piggies need a stable temperature) and security.

No windows would be an issue. They cannot be kept in darkness. You would have to leave the door open all day which then leaves a security risk. You would need to make the building fully secure with a thick mesh in place of the door added to keep them safe.
I'm not sure of the sort of climate and temperatures you are dealing with (I’ve never been to California) but if a door being left open would allow heat in which can then then become trapped and potentially raise the temperature inside to 25 degrees Celsius or more then it would not be safe.
If it gets below 15 degrees celsius then it’ll be too cold.

In the UK we can keep our piggies outside, in sheds (mine are in a shed) and in garages but it takes a lot of work. Even if the temperature outside is within comfortable levels, the shed (and my shed is insulated) traps heat and it can become very hot in there very quickly ans the piggies have to come out.

The concerns would be lack of light, heat, cold, (piggies need a stable temperature) and security.

No windows would be an issue. They cannot be kept in darkness. You would have to leave the door open all day which then leaves a security risk. You would need to make the building fully secure with a thick mesh in place of the door added to keep them safe.
I'm not sure of the sort of climate and temperatures you are dealing with (I’ve never been to California) but if a door being left open would allow heat in which can then then become trapped and potentially raise the temperature inside to 25 degrees Celsius or more then it would not be safe.
If it gets below 15 degrees celsius then it’ll be too cold.

In the UK we can keep our piggies outside, in sheds (mine are in a shed) and in garages but it takes a lot of work. Even if the temperature outside is within comfortable levels, the shed (and my shed is insulated) traps heat and it can become very hot in there very quickly ans the piggies have to come out.
The heat in California the part I’m living in won’t get as hot it would probably reach the 70-80 at least but the temperature could be around 60-50 degrees. My plan was to have them in the smaller cage when it reaches a certain temperature I know that will harm them inside but I was thinking of buying them a fan and heater when I move so they can be more comfortable and have the door open when I’m around so they can get light inside and turn on the light if there is one inside and mostly let them free roam inside the apartment but somewhere comfortable as well. I’ll have to try and see if I can reason with my parent one more time and see if we can put them in my room again.

Back